Thursday, September 5, 2013

SECRET MISSION II

There is no way I can leave Uganda without a second "secret mission". If you remember, I took some of my helpers out for the first secret mission in Jan of last year. It was a huge hit...we just had to squeeze in one more before I left. This time, there were 2 other boys coming along...Noah and Sibiri.

Roll'em OUT!
Leaving Busega for "Secret Mission II"

Arriving safe and sound thanks to Medson and Brother Nicholas
I was trying to come up with something new and different as well as affordable and close. I decided on a day at the movies. I had been going to the mall for errands and never noticed a real movie theater there. HOW FUN!

Breakfast of champions! SUGAR! 

A day of fun,  junk food and play is good for any kid! 
OFF we went to the mall...most of these kids have never even been inside one. It was a fun day of new sights, sounds, tastes and smells! the elevator was a hit, not to mention the food, the playhouse and the movies themselves.

The elevator could have been a carnival ride

We rode it, lets say...OHHH...6 times at least!
(Brian and Oscar in front) 

We started off with breakfast at a cafe (so Sister Carol could get a good cup of coffee!) It was cake, tea and juice all around. I knew what I was in for from the last outing...a sugar high was about to hit. Poor Douglass...I dragged him along to help managed the boys (especially after a day of junk food and sugar)

THANK GOD FOR Playgrounds at malls! 

I fear to think what would have happened after all that sugar and
no way to burn it off! 

Too cool for my hat

We still had time before the movie, so I let them blow off steam at the outside playground. This was a good move on my part. The movie (Monsters University) was fabulous and complete with popcorn and sodas. The boys wanted to watch World War Z (they are boys after all) but the manager would not allow given their young ages....good thing she was there...both Douglass and I would have let them watch it...BAD PARENTS! BAD PARENTS!

My actors! Waiting for the movie 

More sugar...

...and resulting goofiness

Augustin the sweet 
After the movies, none of us was ready to go home...I was trying to come up with something to do when I spotted a sign saying "bowling". NO WAY! It was in the same mall and though difficult to find, we managed to get in just as they were opening. None had ever bowled, including Douglass. Let me just say...what is fun for kids in the US is not necessarily fun for kids in Uganda. They participated and tolerated it for the most part though we had to run down the lane chasing bowling balls that were sent before the machine had set up the pins.

Oscar posing

Sibiri being silly 

It was rather funny that at one point, Sister Carol ended up doing a head first slide down the lane chasing one such ball...this was before I realized they greased the lanes....ya...skirt and all...I think this was the afternoon's entertainment.

First time BOWLING!

Sibiri actually beat out all the kids...
Douglass and I tied 

Following this work up of appetite...it was LUNCH at the food court....never thought there was fast food in Uganda, but hey...it is a mall! You do not have to go to the counters...you find a seat and all the vendors come to you with menus trying to convince you to order from them. The favorite choice was chicken and rice.

Noah being coached by Doulgass

Heading for more food at the food court
Sowedi's self portrait 

I reprimanded the kids for eating everything BUT the chicken fearing they would be too full for the most important part of their meal and filling up on rice and french fries. Chicken is such a luxury that the kids rarely get to have it at home. Douglass then softly told me...."Carol, we are taught that it is bad manners to eat the best thing on the plate first...it means you are being greedy" Imagine....being so poor and hungry yet being taught not to gobble your food down. Again, something to learn from the poor.

Time for more food....CHICKEN!
(finally they are starting to get tired!)

Alas....at 4 PM we headed home....the kids had FUN and were sleepy and tired....

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment