Thursday, September 12, 2013

GOLDEN CREW'S MUSIC VIDEO PRODUCTION


We now have the funding for the production of the music video for Phillip, Henry and Rogers! They have a deadline of Oct 9th to have this complete. I have been so incredibly busy that trying to schedule the videographer to meet us at various times was just non feasible. I decided to do the shooting myself and combine this with a fun outing for the boys. 

Henry 

Phillip 

Rogers

They have specific shoots in mind, one including a shoot near water and also in the rain. I hired a matatu and arranged to take the boys to Ssezibwa Falls in Uganda. Thought it would be a 1/2 day outing....Ya...right. Turns out men in Uganda hate to ask for directions just like men in the USA! 

Last minute primping before shooting

It was a fun drive out regardless...we had music blasting and the energy of the boys was high! It had been months since we did a shoot at Busega. The producing of the video was complicated with poor lighting in the shots and challenges with editing. The kids did not look their best. It was a hard decision, but we had to re-shoot. 

We realized we were not in the right place after 1/5 hours of driving what should have been 45 min. Well...I had realized this but was told that "we know where we are going". OK...turns out though I was a spaz about this, the wrong turn managed to get us some good shots by a river and on a bridge. Douglass got me laughing and somewhat calm and with the help of the driver's stopping traffic, we got some pretty cool shots! 

Practicing the rooftop swagger

Lunch was fabulous and a first in a restaurant for all 3 of the boys. They were hesitant at first wanting to eat in the car. I would have NONE of that...time to get the community used to disability and the need for accommodation. It was good for the locals to look, watch and whisper...it is a rare sight to see disability anywhere other than with the downtown beggars. 

We finally made it to the falls....which compared to the Pacific Northwest, hold nothing special BUT it was pretty! We had to pay to get in but immediately felt excited and happy. We used my computer and portable speaker to allow the boys to synch with the music. I was happily shooting with my little pink Cannon Power Shot camera until Douglass was called away by the park manager. 

a real sit down lunch!

There were a couple safari tours stopping at the falls to take pictures....we saw many HUGE cameras and well dressed people. I was proud that the safari crowd was taking an interest in the boys. They were watching us shoot and listening to me shouting directions to the boys in the process. Turns out someone else was watching as well. 

The manager called Douglass aside to tell him I had to pay 90,000 shillings to shoot the boys at the falls. Douglass came to tell me the good news that he had talked the guy down to 35,000. I immediately went off the deep end. They were NOT going to get ONE SHILLING! I marched over to the safari group and asked the clients with the HUGE cameras and tripods if they were being charged to do shooting at the falls....the answer was NO. 

The only picture I got at the Ssezibwa Falls because of the
distraction from unfair "shooting fees" 

I asked them to wait on the bridge. The manager wanted me to walk up the hill away from everyone but I hollered for him to come to me (very rude in uganda by the way) if he wanted money from me. I blocked the path of the clients (on purpose) and in front of them asked why they were trying to charge me taking pictures with a pink small camera and NOT the clients of the safari groups. I was so furious I was shaking. I barked that I hate the fact Ugandans cheat their own people especially disabled teenagers! 

Douglass at the top of the falls

Westby and Brian also want to pose close (but not too close)
to the edge

The safari guides came to my defense (to get their clients off the bridge) and they manager walked away with his tail between his legs. I had to apologize to the boys to have them witness my anger. They seemed to think this was rather entertaining and were very proud that the manager thought that they were a real singing group! 

The boys really are talented...I only want the BEST for them...I want them to have their dreams come true...THANK you again Xavier for funding their dreams! They could NOT have done this without your organization! 

1 comment:

  1. Because living at UVic isn't necessarily a chronological story, I decided to organize the video by the order in which a future DHSI participant would figure out the logistics of living here. I wanted to let the audience know what to expect by listing the questions at the beginning. Washington DC Video Production

    ReplyDelete