Sunday, October 6, 2013

BLAH BLAH BLAH....WOODPILE 3 WEEKS TO GO!

Week Sept 30th....now begins the final countdown. I am looking at the dwindling weeks and feeling a sense of panic welling up inside. Soo much to do...soo little time. I now realize that most mothers are saints!  

Tricia, the new nurse volunteer from CMMB is arriving Wed of this week. We also have 2 out of town guests coming. The dorm has not been cleaned since the sisters moved out and I need to pack up and move out of my room to allow Tricia to get settled. This is only the housework items.

THIS WEEK:

* Spent an entire day and evening cleaning the dorm including washing walls, linens (my family can now attest to the work of that) THANK GOD they helped me wash all the blankets! Cleaned windows, window sills, 3 showers, 3 toilets and 3 urinals, washed mosquito nets, floors, etc etc.

* move out of and cleaned my old room from top to bottom and set it up to greet Tricia

* Meet with Producer Bull and The Face studio producer a couple times each to see who can edit the film I have for a workable music video for the boys. It is FINALLY coming together!

* go to Katalemwa to deliver the downpayment for the braces and draw up a working contract with this organization for them to come out regularly and see the kids

* Problem solve a poor fitting wheelchair (which I never agreed to knowing it would not work) which ended up causing severe nerve pain in our poet, Nicholas. Turns out the chair fit another boy who I was getting one for. He will take this one and I will build a custom one for Nicholas....works out well. Chris Hayden's donation of a TENS unit was a lifesaver especially since we had no pain medication in the clinic (including any acetaminophen)

* Spend 12 hours a day at Busega since I have not seen the boys enough over the last few weeks. Show movies and use the new POPCORN machine that Patricia the PT who volunteered here before got for the kids! IT WAS A HIT! THANKS PATRICIA!

The new machine

YES it is hitting me...am only wanting to hang out with the boys but still so many projects to finish. Getting overwhelmed. Wondering how I will have the endurance to make the last few weeks. Though buried in work, I rely on the prayer times, rosary and mass to get me through. It is my sanity in these last days.

ONE FUN THING: I had been dying to check out a real "pork joint". I see signs for them all over. Mostly hand-painted ones. I begged Douglass to take me and this Friday we finally went. We met his brother and it was quite interesting. You order by weight...for example, we all ordered 1 kilo of pork. Then it comes on a big tray with portions of matoke, cole slaw, kasava and spices. Yes...you eat with your hands!

The prefect making POPCORN for the boys movie! 

HOW they manage to eat real BBQUE (yes with red sauce and all) without napkins or forks is beyond me. AND they do not get it all over. I had to ask the waitress for 6 "serviettes" and this was not even enough. I did not care...I claimed "muzungu"! OH...yes, and there is beer on top of all that. It was fun meeting part of Douglass' family. We ended up planning a second honeymoon for their parents over pork and beer. Believe me...it will be a typical Carol surprise...WAAAYYY over the top!

Reason being, I had been gifting the volunteers for donating a year of their time on behalf of the MOP and the children. Douglass, being the good man that he is, did not want me to gift him but asked instead to help him do something nice for his parents. The plan was set....it is a crazy one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment