Sunday, October 13, 2013

FINDING JONAH #3....THE FINAL VISIT

I promised the Hayden family that I would make a final visit to see Jonah. Chris sent money to purchase the items I had promised Jonah's Jaja months ago (a huge water collection tank, a mattress and kerosine). I had not been back since Michael was killed. I had not gone back primarily because the thought of it brought back too many memories of Michael, my first Boda driver and good friend. The other major thing is that only Michael knew how to get there. Jonah lived deep in a village up winding trails into unmarked cornfields. I was not sure I could locate him again.

Robine helping me find the promised goods 

One of my major beliefs in life is that one needs to maintain promises and commitments. I could not leave without upholding what I promised the family. I asked Robine to help me and on Sunday I made the decision to go since I had little time left.

Packed and ready to roll! 

at the trading center 

Robine had less confidence in my ability to remember where I was going than I had in myself. I assured him that I could find the turn off from the highway and most likely find the school...from there we would have to rely on God and lots of questions to the locals.

I did indeed find the trading center turn off and managed to even find the shop owner with whom I had negotiated prices on the items I needed to purchase. I renegotiated better this time around though. We got all the items I promised and hired another boda guy to help drive it out there.

Jaja and I dancing 

I did indeed manage to find the school but could not remember exactly which dirt path the house was located on. We went back to the school where a soccer match was finishing. Robine began asking about Jonah (the only information I had). Two Jaja's looked at me and commented that they remembered the family talking about me. They pointed us in the right direction and off we went.

Jonah's Jaja recognized me right away and began to dance and call out to all the neighbors and family to come. Jonah came running up to me and gave me a BIG hug...no longer shy as he was the last time. They had indeed been worried when I did not show up in March as promised. They even tried to get the village elder to write a letter but then realized they had no idea where to send it. They assumed I just went back to the states. They were incredibly sad to hear about Michael but welcomed Robine with equal appreciation.

Jonah and his family

The Jaja and I danced around and the family gathered. I passed out candies and snacks. Jonah ran to get his report card...all A's!!! Especially math which was his best subject last time as well. Jaja was overwhelmed with happiness that I remembered and brought what I said I would. We got Jonah set up with school supplies and extra money. We managed a contact this time so I could send pictures to them.

Though they wanted to cook for us, I had to beg forgiveness to get back home before dark. It was a good thing too because of what happened later. We said goodbyes and I was able to hug them and pass out letters from their sponsored family, the Haydens. I told Jonah that Anna and Matthew loved him dearly and are praying for him and his family.

Jonah showing off his A's in all subjects! 

No longer shy! 

HOW LUCKY am I that I get to play Santa all year long....how blessed...I get to see the smiles and appreciation on the faces of those who receive....I can tell you there is no better feeling in the world. I was sad that on the way back the neighbor whom had directed Michael and I the first 2 trips was gone. We did run into her and her grand daughter on the road on our way back. I was able to give them candy and money for school fees. WHAT a synchronicity!

Robine and I started back...made it to the highway before his boda started acting up. It had a funky noise on the way out. I told him to just turn around but Robine knew how important it was for me to see Jonah and that this was probably the only day I had available to do so...we continued on.

Jonah, his Jaja and Auntie 

and his family and neighbors 

despite being broken down on the side of the highway and walking more than 2 miles pushing a bike, both of us were still laughing and smiling. We knew we had completed something very important and knew God would look after us. Truck after truck passed us by...we continued walking never reaching a trading center with a bike garage. It was getting late....I was getting tired and I did not want us to be on the highway walking in the dark.

I looked up as we walked and said quietly to myself "God, you said you would always take care of us...Robine and I did something very needed for one or your poor families. Robine risked blowing the engine of his bike to do so. I need you to fix this and I need you to fix this now". It was not more than 3 min later when a truck finally stopped. The driver was bringing his family home from the village. He offered to take us for nearly free.

Everyone came to greet us! 

It was a fun surprise for them 

Robine got in the back with the kids and I got in the cab with the parents. We pulled out onto the highway just as it started to rain...we missed this by less than 5 min. I said another quiet prayer of thanks. the driver was a God-fearing man and explained that no truck would pick us up for fear of the police. We were stopped anyway but the driver handled this so adeptly...his kindness to us was so appreciated and made me realize how good people are in the world. I paid him well when he dropped us off in Busega though he tried to refuse...

Finding the neighbor and her grand daughter on the way back! 


Musa was there to pick me up...Robine had his bike towed to his garage...turns out he did indeed blow the piston and a drive chain...BUT it was fixable. I tried to think about what the lesson was in all this...it was such a good visit with Jonah so I was wondering why we had to experience a breakdown such as this...Robine and I both wondered BUT we were both also amazed at ourselves that we were not angst or upset during the ordeal...that we joked through it mostly...it was odd..

Asking where the nearest bike shop was....not close enough to
walk to, that is for sure! 

Then it hit me...we had the gift of being the angels to someone...it was an opportunity for others to be the angel for us....we gave many people the opportunity that day. Only one good man with a loving family stopped. God will reward him for this...I will always hold him and his family in my prayers and will never ever forget his kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment