Sunday, October 27, 2013

TAKING CARE OF FAMILY

I feel I am approaching a time when I am leaving family. The people here, the Brothers, the ones who assist me in my work...they are all family. Uganda feels like "home" to me now. I feel an unexplainable connection to everyone here and a LOVE that will never fade.

Michael's family (Michael is my original Boda driver and friend who was killed in Feb of this year) has become my family. I feel that Michael is often at my shoulder asking me to help and guide his brothers in his absence.

Godfrey holding Michael's son Aiden

Both are doing well now. Alex is now in school for becoming a community dental technician and is working hard in school. He has 3 years of education before he graduates and is ecstatic about this opportunity. He will make it. I met Alex just to talk about a month or two ago. He looked to me to be rather thin though he was sharply dressed with a briefcase. He just came to "talk" and catch up. I asked what he was doing. He managed to get a teaching job despite the lack of credentials for very little pay (150,000 shillings a month...equivalent to 60 USD) Not enough to live on. He only admitted with my insistence that he was going without food to make ends meet but he was "just fine" and would be "OK". He worked 6 days a week and 10-12 hours a day. He was so reliable that they were giving him more and more responsibility without any increase in pay. He was determined to make something of himself and his life. He was motivated by the memory of his older brother, Michael, who would never give up.

Alex and I when he came to visit with his family 

I watched him talking...I was amazed at his ability and persistence....his hope and his determination, his commitment to take care of his mother. I could not let this go....I heard once again in my head "Help him, Help him" I then asked Alex what he wanted to do...Alex replied...be a Doctor or medical officer. I told him to go to the school the next day and research the costs and requirements. Alex stared at me dumfounded. He knew what that meant. It took little more than a week and Alex was enrolled in the dental program at a good allied medicine school. He was on his way, thanks to a no interest loan.

Godfrey, the youngest brother,  is now working on his own business of selling the produce from the family farm in one of the local markets. It is hard making one's way in this very difficult world. Godfrey has been through a lot in the last year...the death of his brother, the death of his child, the loss of his fiance (she returned to her family in the village). He struggles with being hopeful as many young men here do. He is often walking that line of hopelessness and giving up. Godfrey struggles with having big dreams but no initiative to move towards it and is desperate for the guidance of his older brother or father who are both now gone. We meet regularly but I am at a loss for how to encourage him to make these moves on his own. The pain he carries still overwhelmed him.

Godfrey in front of his stand
(the men behind him will not move)

I am proud of him, though for taking initiative and setting up his own stand. This was a HUGE step for him...HUGE! He invited me to come see where he is now. I had to see and support him in any way I can. It was an experience that I had always wanted...to walk through one of the local markets. We negotiate small paths stepping over the peelings of potatoes, melons and rotten greens. The smells of the food and the sounds of people selling mixed in with the already loud noises of the cars and horns sounded like a cacophony of chaos. I could not stop smiling to myself. He is getting there...he is getting there.

We finally came to his stand which at this point remains empty of produce until harvest. He was so proud...proud to show me what he has accomplished (He has had to listen to my barking about having too many excuses) He is finally doing it...taking those steps...it was good to see the hope and pride in his eyes though I knew this was still not going to be easy. The locals are tough and bully him. They would not move from his stand to allow us to take pictures.

He is proud
(a first move on his own)

I stared at Godfrey looking so small amidst the very tough and rough locals pushing him around. They were making fun of me in Luganda... this I knew....I did not care but saw how they pushed Godfrey around. He needed to learn to talk back. I wasn't sure all they were saying but I responded back sharply in Luganda...I saw Godfrey smile after a few appeared to be apologetic. He whispered to me..."They feel ashamed as they assumed you did not know what they were saying".  I whispered back smiling, "I didn't know what they were saying...I only know people...DON'T let them bully you!"

I PRAY with all my heart that Godfrey does not lose hope. He really wants to become a writer but has yet to make the moves we talked about to make his dream come true....one cannot hand dreams to people...we can only give the tools and the advice and then step back. Step back to let them take those steps on their own. Please pray for him that he keeps taking those steps no matter how small. He represents the many who struggle here with overwhelming odds. Many will not make it....I pray Godfrey does.

Pray that he succeeds amidst the tough
shop owners who bully him 

No comments:

Post a Comment