Sunday, May 26, 2013

MALARIA??? ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!!!

OK... I know I have been burning the candle at both ends but seriously...Malaria???
I was finishing work last Monday when I realized that I was getting sick...again...headache, achy body, cough and stomach ache. NOW the fatigue I had been experiencing all week was starting to make sense. I just thought it was my ear infection coming back a 3rd time...it was....in addition to a stomach parasite infection as well as malaria. (I didn't know this yet)

Juliette, a volunteer from Columbia was having the same symptoms I was except I didn't have the runs....yet. I prepped for a 24 hour bug but whatever set in grabbed hold and took my body for a joy ride. I knew I was running a fever, but had no idea how high...all I knew was that my whole body hurt...even my fingernails and eyelashes...and it was BAD!

NOTHING stopped it...the fevers came and went. Douglass the MO called to check on me. He advised me to get a malaria and Typhoid test. I "Peshawed" him off but then thought about the kids. I called Christine to come and do the tests for me. I couldn't get out of bed to get there....this should have been a sign. She came by and tsked me. My fevers at the low end were 102F and at the high end closer to 104. Well...at least I knew why I was moaning.

HOW does one get malaria when on regular treatment??? Still I refused to go in when I found out. Her husband the MD called and Boofed me. He then lied saying Christine will come get me for 1 IV and then bring me back....he knew I would be staying. Off I went and off I stayed for 3 days stuck to a rotating cocktail IV of Quinine and Flagyl (that is after a basic hydrating drip)...I still didn't pee until after the 5th IV. The hallucinations were pretty good though...in one of them, I was one of the disciples going off only "carrying my shoes and cloak on my back" then it went back to the regular blood and guts pictures...scary thing was, I didn't notice this until I got better!

By day 3 of quinine, I couldn't hear a thing as my ears were ringing...I was so full of antibiotics, and other meds that I was trying to fake being well enough to go home. I still couldn't eat. Christine was coming to assess me that morning, so I managed to sponge bathe and finger combed my hair...I had no comb or mirror so I remember taking a picture to see if I looked presentable....ya...I thought this one looked "just fine!"

Sad thing is, I thought I looked "normal" 

I don't think I pulled one over on Christine, but I was able to get out of bed and walk (for 5 min). She relented, I went home... I seemed to improve rapidly so made a plan to have a movie night for the boys the next day (with Fr Henry's permission of course)...I knew I would hit the ground running...

Juliette helping me set up the "movie theater" 

the boys arrive with the Brothers 

Movie night was a BLAST! This was my group of helpers that I adore. I made a makeshift theatre in the monastery conference room, ordered popcorn (which Douglass picked up), sent Robin out for soda and junk food. They arrived with the brothers in the afternoon and we managed 5 movies. It was getting to be supper time when Fr Henry came in to greet the boys. He invited them to stay overnight with the brothers...THIS WAS HUGE!!!

L TO R: Oscar, Brian (in the suit), Sowedi, Noah, Augustin and Sabiri in the front

Douglass had all the Luganda dubber versions

settling into comfort! 

pretty clear picture 

junk food fest! 

AHHH this is the LIFE! 

They were ecstatic! We were able to watch movies until 11 PM! They did manage supper despite a day's diet of soda, pringles, popcorn, cookies, snickers and nuts. YA....you just gotta do that when you are a kid!!! They were all well behaved and have been talking about it ever since...

Sowedi playing with the camera
at least I am upright

Again...what a lucky person I am...this alone brought me back from the dead in less than 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment