Tuesday, May 14, 2013

THE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION CONTINUES!

What a day!! I got the tile! I thought nothing could top that! Truth be told, I kept my birthday a secret....the sisters and brothers have been asking in hopes to douse me with water. Unfortunately, Fr Henry (who processed my visa, knew my BD) told Fr Raymond to say Mass for me that morning. Ya...everyone knew after that. I wanted it secret for several reasons...I did not want anyone to go through any trouble or expense in the least for me...plus, I wanted to remain the support person in the background behind the scenes so to speak...not to mention stay dry.

A birthday wish made out of the local flowers here


Despite the last minute notice, I had homemade cards by the time breakfast was over. Many from my English class. I was arranging for the tile supplies to be purchased and was nearly late for a birthday feast that was prepared by Brother Sonny at Busega. I walked in to find  a huge spread of matoke, greens, sweet potatoes, beef, rice, soda and fried onion rings!! (no one knew what they were save for Bro Sonny and I....in fact Douglass and Sr Anna thought it was fish!)

Some of the kids after singing!

During lunch, I heard a whistle and then marching and then LOTS of singing form the kids...in marches a line of kids surrounding the table. They all sang happy birthday and then asked that I join them in the kids dining area. I had a chair pulled out and was serenaded with Ugandan birthday songs for 10 min. Then, as tradition here in Uganda, the kids that are closest to me got up and made short little speeches. It was DARLING! I was then presented with homemade drawings.

Artwork that brought tears to my eyes

I was overwhelmed. I couldn't stop the tears. I can't explain how touching it is for a child to take the time to write and draw pictures for you. Having never had children, I never thought I would experience this, but today...I had enough drawings to last me many nights of reading! The most touching was a letter I received from my affectionately called "son" Brian. He said that he saw me as his mother and that I was the best mother in the whole world. OK....that got me.

I particularly like the Carol-God comparison!
HAHAHA...

But I must have a split personality between
God and Batman

That evening, the sisters boofed me (yelled at me) for not telling them...we had a fun supper, but the dousing never happened as they were thankfully interrupted with a knock at the door. It was all the professed brothers carrying a cake and singing. WOW...how fun! When they left, the sisters and I were just goofing around for the rest of the evening. It was a rather fun birthday and amazing surprise despite having kept it quiet until that day.

Sooo...I'll take the angel comparison as a happy medium 

Goofing around with the Sisters! 
OHH...can't forget the BIG FISH! This was the birthday gift from friend Cathy, friend Robin and my sister....my absolute favorite meal....this place has the biggest fish ever. Out for cappuccino and pastries afterwards.

Now that is a FISH!


Patricia, Douglass and Juliette

ahhh real coffee

I feel blessed to be amongst such a wonderful loving group of people. They truly made me feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment