Tuesday, May 14, 2013

TILE, TILE WHERE CAN YOU BE???? THERE IT IS, THERE IT IS! THANKS CMMB!!!!

The tile floor...Alas, my biggest impediment to finishing the rehab room. There are a huge string of synchronicities that are not short of a miracle in regards to this PT room. I had actually looked at and picked out tile for the floor back in December of 2010. It had to be NON SKID when wet. Fr Henry also said it had to be Italian or Spanish so that it would hold up over time and not cost more in repairs in the future. I found one...it was PERFECT....but waaay too expensive for me to afford, costing $1,800.00 USD for the tile alone, not to mention the $400.00 USD plus installation fee.


In the truck with Julius on the way to
GET THE TILE! 
I tried everything from begging the tile people on my knees to reduce the price, to asking Fr Henry if MOP could go 50/50 on it with me. Neither was an option. Fr Raymond said, "just paint it". The floor was chipping and stained. It would need to be replaced in the next year anyway. I just couldn't see spending money on paint when tile would still be needed within a year. Fr Henry said he could tile it when he re-did the floors at Busega but this could be anywhere from a year to 4 and wouldn't be the non skid kind (they can't afford it either) UGH!

picking it up! 

I went off to research paint. Turns out this was VERY expensive as well. The paint that would hold up for at least a year would cost nearly $1,000.00 USD anyway. The cheaper pain would peel in 6 months. I was between a rock and hard place. I called Sadolin to beg for a discount but couldn't reach him in person. I was FRUSTRATED! Time was slipping by and the room was sitting.

I was nagging them about being careful the WHOLE time!
(poor guys)

I sat in the back to keep it from shifting the whole way. The
police even stopped us and asked Julius..."Why is a
muzungu riding in the back?" He let us go when I convinced him
it was MY choice! 

I asked God for a favor..it was months before my birthday, but I always have a habit of asking God for a gift for my birthday. Odd, I know...been doing it since I was a kid. It never fails. I was in the chapel on my knees and begged "GOD, PLEASE, I know it is a lot to ask. I know I am always asking for help and support. Could you please grant me this birthday wish. Could I please have the tile for my floor for my birthday. I am asking this NOT for me but for the kids. They need this tile, not paint. I want what they need, not something just to get by."
The welcoming committee 

Unloading the tiles

I even tried a Novena, did a 3 day fast and prayed my heart out. At the end of the Novena, I still hadn't heard anything (OK...I waited a day). I was antsy, not wanting to waste any more time. I was in Mass that morning, looked up and said, "OK GOD, I think 'no answer' IS my answer. If paint is what you want, I will do paint, regardless if I can get a discount or not. Today, first thing, I will go buy the expensive paint."
Thank goodness for strong Brothers
It took many of them to unload 

Brother John Paul 

I finished English class, called the Boda and ran out with my things. I stopped on the stairs and thought to myself...check your email before you go. I went back in, got my computer and did a quick check. I saw an email from Sara at CMMB. It was Feb 22cnd. My jaw dropped when I read it. She said,


Hi Carol – How much do you need for the floor? Maybe I can get a major gift officer here to pull a quick donation from someone. No promises but am happy to try (as well as are there other remaining costs?)

Brother Stenslous pretending
he hurt his back and neck from lifting

This one must have been really heavy to take 2!

My loot...sitting on the bathroom floor 
I about did a flip! What timing! I was within hours of wasting money on floor paint! Of course, I was very willing to wait. Soon after, the fund raising project was approved. Sara kept me updated with every increase in the donations. Fr Raymond said at least 4 Masses for the benefactors. I kept praying and hoping. Right before my trip in April, Sara emailed me that we hit the mark! I nearly cancelled my trip to Kenya to start on the project, but couldn't break my commitments. RATS! I had to be patient and wait.

I got home and hit the ground running, unfortunately, as a result, I ended up with a second bout of ear infection and bronchitis that laid me out for 4 days (the first was when I arrived in Kenya). Then there was the matter of transferring the money from my account to MOP. Then I had to wait until Brother Johnson could pick it up. I was pestering him daily though trying hard to be patient. FINALLY...I had the funds in hand but then had to await availability of the truck.
A job well done! 

HOW ABOUT THIS FOR SYNCHRONICITIES....the day that worked out to purchase and pick up the tile was May 14th....my birthday. HMMM. I don't think it hit me until I was in the truck driving to the tile store...I had asked for the tile for my birthday. God delivered it exactly on that day! I think He wanted me to know, He was ON IT! 

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO THANK ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DONATED AND CMMB FOR THIS!  the poorest of the poor abandoned and disabled children of Busega will now have the floor they need in order to learn to move and gain independence in their lives! They will regain their lives THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! 

MAY GOD RETURN YOUR GIFT 1,000 FOLD and MORE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment