Friday, May 10, 2013

ADDICTED TO GIVING!

The life of an orphan in an orphanage can be rather boring. Being stuck in one place other than school can be really hard despite having all your basic needs met. Father Raymond understands this and wants to create a HOME for them. This is why the kids look forward to his outings to the beach. This year, he also started a football (soccer) league.

It was HUGE. There were 8 teams (1/2 were older boys and the other 1/2 were younger ones). They had matches daily throughout the 3 weeks off. It was fun to watch! There was a worker and a brother assigned as coaches. Douglass was coach for Brian's team "Arsenal" who made it to the championship.

I thought back on the times that were the most fun for me as a kid. One of those was watching movies and having popcorn and soda. I made it a point to figure out how to manifest this. I needed a projector anyway for English class (we are on public speaking now) and thought this would be a great time to get one to show movies for the kids. Robin helped me price shop and find a good one and several Disney Pixar movies as well!
Finding a tailor in the curtain shop was a jackpot! 

AND a curtain rod long enough! 

We got back and set up a movie on the back wall of the chapel. It was a bit hard to see with the yellow green wall paint and the light from the windows, so...back downtown to figure out a screen. Material can be rather expensive despite bargaining. We happened upon a curtain store and found we could by any length....we found a heavy white curtain which was perfect. There was a tailor sitting there in the store with his singer sewing machine...he hemmed it for me.
First attempt at set up (Bro Ciprion to the L supervising) 

captive audience 

Not so clear picture (hmmm...needs to be fixed) 

I was wondering about hanging it when I saw the curtain rods (uncut) stored in the rafters...WALA! The tailor sewed a loop at the top and off we went! Turns out there were nails already in the walls, so the new screen hung perfect!!!!
We DID IT! (Robin and I)

The GOODIES! 

I then managed to find a popcorn man nearby Busega, placed an order for 200 bags of popcorn, paid him and went off to buy soda for 200 kids (the more expensive of the 2). We managed that, got Douglass's computer set up with badly dubbed versions of movies and the kids had a REAL NIGHT AT THE MOVIES!!!
MUCH BETTER PICTURE! 


passing out popcorn

Fred happy with his popcorn! 

the little ones sat up front

sodas all around! 

PERFECT!

It was PERFECT! I could not have done this without Douglass who stayed late with me and helped me carry all the disabled boys up to the chapel. Everyone was able to enjoy! I felt like Santa...I wish everyone could feel how wonderful it is to do simple fun things for children such as these...you would become quickly addicted to giving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment