Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"SLOWLY BY SLOWLY"

The move to finish the room and all the equipment marches on. Finding smaller items like wall brackets and the right sized screws takes an expert! I headed back downtown to the multi level hardware area and all the craziness that entails. I was trying to find the shop belonging to Abraham, a shop owner that managed to find me the large I-Bolt for the ceiling.


Abraham coming through with the I-Bolt

Coming through yet again with the anchors! 

It took some time but he recognized me (THANK GOD). Sure enough, Abraham came through with the right sized wall mounts for the mirrors the artists have created. It was good to see him again and I thanked him profusely for always being the "right go to guy".

Godfrey also completed the mat table, so while I was downtown, I picked up a mattress for it. Next I had to locate someone to sew the nogahide cover for the mattress. Thanks to Robine, who was able to locate just the right tailor, we had a mat and mat cover within a few days.

Putting on the mat cover

PERFECTION! 

FUNCTIONAL YET BEAUTIFUL!

The only remaining things were the finding and negotiating with a new carpenter (who was more reliable and did the work I requested). Through Christian, my Apple computer store wiz, I was referred to Sunday. Sunday is deaf and teaches carpentry at the deaf school nearby. I saw the amazing work he did and he saw the "muzungu". He was a tough person to bargain with but we came up with an agreeable price for quite a bit of the remaining equipment.

I returned yesterday to check on the progress and was AMAZED at the quality of the beautiful work he has done. I hope to have everything in hand by Friday of this week. PRAISE GOD! Finally! This means that most of my swings should be put together by next week.

Let us not forget the foundational work being done...this includes getting baseline assessments done on most (goal is all) of the disabled children. figuring out a system of documentation that is "do-able" for the local PTs who are not used to doing this.

Julieth listening to me ramble about how to document

One more second and she will be fast asleep! 

REMAINING:

* Try and get word from Katalemwa rehab regarding the loftstrand and axillary crutches as well as my rolling stool (which have been on order since last December)

* Have Robert install the mirrors over the sinks, install the wood protective frame around the gym mirrors (to keep the kids from hanging on them), have the sculpture that the artists are still working on installed in the back treatment room; have Robert fix the lights (they need one more screw to allow the covers to be screwed on tight)

* Pick up the remaining sculpture from the artists

* Have Godfrey add larger wheels to the cart for the "operation clean bottom" project in the dorms. The cart will hold water pails, washcloths, towels, diapers and gloves to make changing time more efficient (well....that is the hope anyway)

Godfrey's latest creation. A rolling cart
for Operation "Clean Bottoms" 

* Hang the curtain boxes and get rods to hang the curtains.

* Hire someone to clean the place weekly


TAKING A DEEP BREATH! It is getting closer but still taking soo much time! UGH! The goal is now to finish in time for the visit of the Founding Father of MOP next month. IT HAS GOT to be done by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment