Wednesday, July 24, 2013

MAKING GOOD ON PROMISES: A TRIP TO LIRA WITH ROBINE

I am trying to make good on all the "promises" I have made to spend time with people. I did manage to make good on my promise to Christine to teach her and her son how to bake cookies. We managed to do that last Thurs the 18th of July. Though Dennis arrived at the tail end, we managed to bake a batch of 4 different cookies (Russian tea cakes; peanut butter blossoms, frosted cut out cookies and oatmeal raisin) ALL were a hit!

Robine and I on our way to Lira 6 hours away

NEXT: A visit to Robine's family in the village in Lira 6 hours north of Kampala on Frid 19th.

This meant a lot to Robine and was a promise I made to him which I was not about to break.  I had wanted to actually visit a village to experience life outside the big city of Kampala and this would be perfect! We decided the earlier before I leave Uganda, the better. SOOO off we went Friday morning aboard a bus headed north.
Me in the Gee Nut field

Robine and his Mother pulling "Gee-Nuts"

Robine's Mother

Robine in his element


She was so gracious despite us "surprise" visiting her
We arrived in good time about 3 PM where we met Robine's brother and friends, who were able to cart the both of us and all our "stuff" by boda the remaining 4 KM along a rutted dirt path. One of the bags needed 2 guys to lift (or just me...haha) as it was stashed with foodstuffs for Robine's Mother.

It is culturally improper to just "pop in" for a visit, but Robine and I did not want his Mother to spend a day or two using her limited resources and time to prepare for visitors. We both hoped this would not be too upsetting. Turns out Robine's Mother is kind and most gracious. She was so very happy to see her son and as a result, most forgiving of our sudden surprise arrival. Robine only gets home every 6 months at the most due to the cost of the bus fare.

Happiness abounds when with family

Delivery of the "goodies" 

We greeted her and Robine's Aunt in the fields, where they had been since sun up (without breakfast or lunch mind you). After hugs and smiles, I got to help pull Gee-nuts (their version of peanuts) for a short bit. Immediately, Robine was in his realm. He was born and raised on this farm and the land is in his blood. I could see him smile and relax more and more with each passing minute. We had to virtually pull him away from the fields!

The kids coming to check out the visitor
(at arms length I might add)

They gained courage after a bit and came closer

Soon we were back in the compound. Robine and I were given a seat while his Mother and brothers ran around cleaning and preparing food for supper. It was hard for me to sit there watching his Mother work but I was told over and over "You are a guest". Robine told me just to sit...it would be bad manners for me to try and help out. They made me feel immediately "at home".

It wasn't long for the word to get around that a white person was in town....the local children came for a look. They initially sat and stood quite far away from me and would back up if I tried to approach them. One child actually cried when I tried to pat her back. It took awhile before they began to warm up to me and come near.

A computer out here seems so odd given the lack of electricity
and running water! 

Robine and I had fun unloading all the gifts we brought (porsho, rice, cooking oil, kerosene, matches, cups, sugar, candies, snacks, cookies (which I baked the day before with Christine), pineapple, bananas and a few other things). Robine's Mother tasted her first real cookies ever....the smile said it all.

Some of Robine's family also started to come to visit. His uncle who lived nearby came and we had a nice chat as Robine sorted the rice (you have to go through it to pick out stones). I was of no help because it all looked a like to me. Robine found it funny that I had no idea how to sort the rice (something ALL women here know how to do) Robine commented over and over how he wants to be able to create a system of large scale organic farming, hire people to work the land and FINALLY to relieve his Mother of such hard labor. He is one of the few local men who will do "woman's work" in order to assist her. He is truly a GOOD man and a good son...something I knew, but my respect for him continues to grow.

You mean you can't see the pebbles mixed in???
I wasn't much help with sorting despite this being "woman's work"

Robine comes from a family of 3 brothers and a sister. Two of his brothers remain at home and help out on the farm. His sister and older brother live far from home. Robine's clan is HUGE covering most of Lira, actually. His Grandfather on his Mother's side was a powerful clan leader who took Robine under his wing when he was still alive. Their land is extensive and beautiful...a literal gold mine of agriculture. Robine is destined to become clan leader some day with his incredible knowledge, common sense and counseling ability. There were 2 family meetings during our stay in Lira, both of which were led by both Robine and the district clan leader, Tommy (Robine's uncle).

We dined at around 9 PM...the more traditional time to eat. When one eats only 1 time a day, one wants to retain every calorie possible. Despite Robine's plea NOT to, a chicken had been slaughtered for supper and I was presented with the traditional visitor's meal...chicken liver, chicken gizzard, the egg partially formed which was inside the chicken at the time as well as the back. Robine informed me it was impolite to refuse and this was an important cultural gesture. He knew I was not a fan of liver so helped me out with this part. It was actually really good!

The traditional meal served to visitors 
I retired to my own hut (thanks to Robine's younger brother, Benard, giving his up for me). It was warm and cozy compared to the outside cool temps. I slept very well dreaming to the sound of crickets and peepers, an occasional cock crow but otherwise, SILENCE.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful people...wonderful stories..I know how it goes with the cultural pc things..I gave in an ate pork in Romania when served by family who was honoring we volunteers....thanks for sharing all of this.

    ReplyDelete