Saturday, February 2, 2013

SCHOOL SUPPLIES TO JONAH




Avocado's bigger than this at the roadside
stands..5 for 50 cents
Anyone who lives or works in Africa knows that there is an anxiety and rush about getting school fees and school supplies paid. The MOP has had people lined outside the gate for hours and days in the last 2 weeks waiting for the possibility of sponsorship to school. I still have no idea how the Brothers manage all of this, but they do with an efficiency and quiet calm in the midst of all the chaos.

This got me to thinking about Jonah, my dear friends' sponsored child that I located just before Christmas. The requirements for supplies include: a ream of paper, a large package of toilet paper, pencils, rulers, colored pencils, mathematical sets, socks, uniforms, school shoes, 2 large ruled notebooks and 12 small exercise books, a hand full of blue pens and a book bag. These are just the requirements to come!

Jonah getting his school supplies
(OK...and some candy)
Any Mother knows how this can add up...imagine a child in a village living with an elderly grandparent who has no income. Sponsorship from all over the world is vital for these kids. I realized that school is starting Monday and realized that if I was going to get things to Jonah, I'd need to do it soon.

Michael took me downtown to the crazy shopping alleys with 6 stories of shops to bargain my way through a list of school supplies....I did fairly well, being taken for 500 shillings on 2 items only. I can say that bargaining in a midst of chaos and crowds with hollering and shouting and honking takes a LOT of energy! I came out on top in the end despite my lack of experience.

OFF we went once again "up country" to find Jonah. We were hoping he was home as we were unable to reach any of his family by phone.  We were able to find his house this time thanks to the neighbors who helped us the last time. They remembered us from last time and greeted us warmly. One of the boys from that home (you might remember 2 boys and a small girl) is in Kampala with family going to school. This Jaja is also elderly and cannot afford school supplies for the 2 remaining...I donated some funds to them via the Haydens as well. They were ever so grateful for this. I passed out candy to them and they invited us back anytime!

Clever Boy: 91 in Math and 88 in English
We travelled down another small path to reach Jonah. We had to take a neighbor with us to guide us along the maze of trails reminiscent of mountain biking trails. There were 3 of us including my bags strapped to the back of the Boda, so I was squatting over the back of the Boda trying hard NOT to squish the toilet paper. We arrived with no one home but the neighbor went off to gather the family and neighbors to greet us. We spotted Jonah coming down the path smiling. He looks good. They were all happy to see us. Jonah was very overwhelmed with the Haydens' gift of school supplies and kept trying to kneel down to thank us despite me pulling him back up to his feet.

Jonah with his new Book Bag outside
his home
I delivered the school supplies in addition to some of the candy that my friends and family sent over from the states (lifesavers, jolly ranchers, gum drops and skittles) No worries everyone...I did enjoy plenty of these on my own as well! He was all smiles....not to mention his Jaja.

Jonah ran back into his home to get his papers to show me. He is a very bright boy...scoring A's and B's on everything (except writing which is not his favorite) He is really good in Math and English. We talked about his needs...he needed school shoes and a uniform...we gave the Jaja money to buy these things for him. Even the neighbors were grateful and happy for Jonah despite the fact I could not support all of them like this.

Jonah and his Jaja
We sat in his front yard on mats and a bench and chatted for a while under the shade of a large tree. The family is very kind and they laugh a lot! We talked about the challenges to live...I asked the Jaja what her greatest need might be....I was looking around at the sparse dirt yard, the chickens running around and the bushes and scrub brush around the area. It was very dry....Jaja said her biggest needs include a water collection tank, Kerosine and a mattress. It is a long and rough road getting to any store, she is elderly and without an income. It would be near impossible for anyone in those circumstances.

Meeting Jonah's family and neighbors
(PS: WOW I'm pale!)

I told them that I would see what I could do....we would return on a Sunday in March sometime. Jonah walked me to the Boda holding my hand and kept thanking me and asking me to thank "his sponsors" He asked about the Haydens, Matthew and Anna. He wanted to know how old they are and what they look like. I told him I would bring him pictures and letters when I return in March.

ANYHOW....We headed back out to the main road then the highway. I was famished by the time we got there as we had missed lunch and it was nearly 4 PM. There is a small "trading center" (a bunch of small shops) where Michael and I sat to rest and with water and a muffin....(a total of 1.00 for both of us). I was chatting with him about the logistics of transport for all the supplies the Jaja needed from Kampala (60 miles away)....This is when Michael spotted a shop with a water collection tank of all crazy things! We headed over there to look....I started asking about prices...found out they have large gericans with Kerosine as well as Mattresses!!! EVERYTHING that the Jaja requested...this shop was only 25 min away....I realized we could buy everything there and hire another Boda driver to help carry it all to Jaja and Jonah. WHAT a coincidence...I started laughing and told Michael that when these things happen like this, it is a GOD THING!

Discussing difficulties of life and basic needs
We collected the shop owner's name and number...we will call ahead before we come in March to make sure he has these items before we come...how PERFECT!

I was filled with an wash of emotion at that moment...why did God choose me to be the one BLESSED to be able to give in the name of others? I am the one who gets to look into the faces and see the joy, the surprise and the thanks coming from the heart and soul of others when a truly needed item is given. I only wish I could give that feeling to all who have never experienced this before. I believe that if only once, you experience this....you would never think to be withholding of any time, talents, gifts or resources EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment