Wednesday, January 30, 2013

THE PT ROOM

The blue windows match the mural
OK...a quick update on the PT/Rehab room....though going slower than I prefer, things are coming along. The Busega Home is being painted all around including walls, windows and panes. This is very good timing in that I needed my windows painted anyway.

I was watching the work done by the guys who help out around here as well as the work of the hired painters. I was getting a bit nervous as there were only a few "professional painters"....hmmm...observing drips of color over the windows and the walls, the perfectionist part of me started squirming and getting nervous. I finally decided to have a "chat" with the contract painter to ONLY allow one of his professionals work in my room.

NICE thing is that the colors chosen for the whole home match the colors of the mural....baby blue on the inside and bright green on the outside...they look beautiful and highlight the mural now!

Nicholas and Dan at the final viewing
One gentleman volunteered to be my "point man"....he received incessant instructions from me on how to do his job. I know some of my friends might be rolling their eyes in sympathy for the poor guy. I even couldn't handle the pace of his work so broke out an apron and started painting myself....I take attention to detail..sometimes too much. Painters here, for some reason, don't bother to paint anything they think no one can see...like the bottom and tops of the windows...NOT on MY watch!!!!

My pretty green door! 
I ended up hiring my own painter (Alfred) who had helped me out before...we needed to do touch ups anyway, so he did both for me. It is nearly done now and I only have to scrape paint drips off the windows and do color touch ups.

The urinals are lowered and have grab bars and only 1 tile needs to be fixed. I still need to add a horizontal grab bar next to the toilet. NEXT is the floor...I have decided that function outweighs a perfectly tiled floor...I am having it painted and will leave the tile to the next volunteer.

The lowered urinals with grab bars
Father Raymond was able to do a "viewing" of the finished mural this week and was quite pleased. He noticed the calming quality of the work of art as well. The kids already LOVE it! We still have to get a coating of varnish over the top to protect it from the hands, pencils and wheelchair wheel marks of the boys.

I did all of the "detail" work.
Nice huh???
Once the floor is ready, I can move in the equipment sitting in wait at Katalemwa rehab. THEN...THEN we can really begin to do some high level work and teaching....the whole goal of this program is to train the Brothers and the 2 PT's in techniques so that all this work will be sustainable when I leave....

TIME IS TICKING...it has been 4.5 months already...can you believe that???!! I can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment