Sunday, January 20, 2013

CLINIC WEEK! LOKIRU'S MALARIA AND AN OPEN HEAD

The kids have been keeping us busy this week....getting malaria, testing out cement posts with their heads along with the usual football injuries (the scraped toes and elbows). I have actually been rather surprised at how few injuries and illness there is given the huge number of adolescent boys running around out of school with too much pent up energy.

Lokiru belting out one of his many songs!
MEET LOKIRU: He is about 14-ish (without formal records, this is an estimate). I have been working with Lokiru now for 3 months. He has Cerebral Palsy affecting both legs and his L arm. He is also effectively blind, HOWEVER, he is a gifted musician and shares with all of us his tunes and praises of God through song.

Lokiru's favorite instrument is his fist on the
table....even prefers this over a new drum
I got for him. 
Lokiru was crawling to get around at the time I met him. I did not realize he had rehab and PT in the past. (Including non-hinged long leg braces to be worn at night and with walking to prevent the flexion contractures... which he now has as he refuses to wear them). He has been one of my lovable regulars. It was the soccer ball which enticed him to first stand. He wanted badly to kick the ball, so with time and help (use of a walker and me) he was able to do so...this resulted in squeeling with delight. Lokiru then asked incessantly "Sister Carol, are we going to kick the ball today?" Missing PT resulted in depression and "stomach aches".

Over time, Lokiru started improving his balance. I replaced the walker with a small crutch he could use as a cane. He was able to kick the ball without falling. Now, Lokiru is able to walk to and from PT without the walker or the crutch, walk to and from meals and is now able to start kicking the ball without using the crutch (which he still prefers to use). He still walks on his toes with a heavy sway but is able to manage alone. He will need new bracing but this will need to wait until the PT clinic is up and running.

I have been noticing that recently, Lokiru was slowly losing weight. Much of this was due to the fact he HATES porsha (the white corn flour paste) AND he is growing. I had been giving him plates of beans as he had been skipping meals to avoid the porsha and anything touching it. Personally I LIKE porsha! Lokiru had been begging for eggs for weeks so I decided to get him a Rolex in the morning (FABULOUS...not sure why I never tried one myself) They are 2 chapatis with 2 fried eggs, onions and tomato YUM...costing about .50 cents

He had one 2 mornings in a row...that is until Douglass the M.O. ran past me saying "your friend is very sick" He apparently did not keep his Rolex down with tests showing severe malaria. It hit Lokiru fast and hard...he had just been in PT that AM happily kicking the ball. Malaria was going around (5 boys had it this week alone) primarily because it has been warm and raining for the last few weeks. I ran up to the clinic to find Lokiru surrounded by his buddies and in bed shivering. I wrapped him in 4 wool blankets and hugged him trying to keep him warm until the local Doctor, whom Douglass went to fetch (Dr Job), arrived with IV's and IV meds for Malaria, fever and pain.

Lokiru with his "stick" as he calls it
Poor Lokiru....it was 2 days of IVs and fever. He was "starving" but would vomit within 30 min of eating (after which he would promptly ask me for more food). I played nurse for 2 days...holding the bucket, helping him with a "short call" and taking him for a "long call" (#1 and #2) Now....I admire nurses as I am not well versed in this arena....helping a 14 yr old quad CP with poor balance and weak with fever try to balance in a squat over a hole in the floor is NO EASY TASK! Lokiru never lost his sense of humor laughing at me and himself the whole time even as he toppled over.

Douglass had to leave day 2 of this (Lokiru was stable by then) Douglass was needed to supervise the kids at the beach (It was their biannual outing with Fr Raymond and much looked forward to beach trip). I still had kids to see, so I "hired" Sweady and Sibiri to sit with Lokiru in the clinic while he was on his IV drip. Dr Job and I would alternate checking on him. Lokiru's main complaint was that he was "bored". The 2 "nurse's aides" did well with their job and were well paid.... each received a Rolex at the end of the day.

Dr Job has had his job cut out for him this week. One young man (David) decided to check the solidity of the cement post with his head and ended up with a split scalp. Dr Job arrived Sat PM to stitch him up. This was painful for the boy even with the topical lidocaine. Soon, with a new hair cut (square patch shaved off around the cut) and cleaned up, he was off to his room. I remember those days when Mom and Dad had to take us for stitches...it was NOT a fun thing. We always seemed to miss supper so this was one of the rare treats we would get some McDonalds. I decided David needed some of that TLC as well....he smiled when I brought him a Rolex (close enough). I told him he was a very brave boy.

Today, there were no injuries...well...save for a few bee stings (boys like to poke sticks into bees nests for some reason). I will continue to ask God to watch over all the boys so that they are saved from themselves (as He has done for me time and time again).  May all of their guardian angels hold them in safety and a light of protection!


No comments:

Post a Comment