Thursday, January 10, 2013

JUST SOME THOUGHTS

PT room mural update
We are now getting back into the "swing of normal life" in that, we are back on a normal schedule. I started teaching English classes again this week and changed my work hours to allow for a more manageable schedule (53 versus 62 hours a week). It has felt good to be back on track so that I can focus on the kids.

There remains issues that still have to be dealt with. This is a country of poor and disadvantaged people. It is a near constant struggle at times to keep my mental and emotional center especially when I have to be on guard about material matters. This is not an area I am wholly comfortable dealing with HOWEVER, it never fails that God puts us where we need to learn the most. (Even if I DON'T WANT TO LEARN THAT RIGHT NOW!)

Things meant for the kids tend to walk away, my supplies for building and renovating also tend to walk away and Christmas cards with small monetary gifts inside often never get to the intended person. This week I had a bit of a struggle trying to cope. I am having to learn to be self sufficient in all my needs (emotional) as there is no one here at the Monastery that has the English/Social understanding to help me process these challenges (except of course the priests who work 24/7 who I do not want to trouble with small things).

The boys with their new "footballs" thanks to Laine Smith PT
(Note: they are not smiling cuz I made them take a picture first
before playing..."aww,  C'mon Sister Carrrooooollll!"
whine whine)
Today I prayed hard....God has never failed me yet when I ask...truly ask (I try and wait until I really need it) for some sign that all is OK, that I am not alone, or to give me some little pick me up. I looked for it all day today...on the way to work, while at work, while coming home....I took the lack of response as a lesson in being more resourceful for myself... a deep sigh of resignation...RATS.... I decided to try and go for a run after work despite the fact I was exhausted, hoping this would help. I dragged 2 of the sisters along with me.

SIDE NOTE: These 2 sisters do not, and have not exercised AT ALL for most of their adult lives ....HOWEVER...they are "20 something" year old Kenyans....can you guess how fast these sisters can run in skirts and flip flops??? YES..FAST....THANK GOD they pooped out near the top of the hill....DEAR GOD if I had an ounce of those GENES!

The moment we left the gate, I was mobbed by at least 15 kids shouting "Muzungu! Muzungu!" They didn't stop either...they grabbed hold of my arms and shirt so that I was nearly dragging 6 of them along with me (while panting)...they ran with us for at least 5 min. They continued to shout after us even until we were too far away to hear and met us doing the same thing on the way back....BUT all along the way, other kids came running up to the road or shouting from their yards "Hi Muzungu!"

Learning to hold rabbits for the first time!
NOW...this was ODD...I always hear the kids, but today was "over the top"...soo much so that the sisters could not stop laughing when we got back. They had never seen the kids do this before either. I ran into Fr Raymond walking back to the dorm. I mentioned my troubles with the "walk away syndrome" and he gave me some good advice and made me laugh. His words were calming and humorously supportive and he helped me see things in a different way which allowed me to let go of the frustration. I then, received a delivery of sweet banana's from my dear friend Christine the nurse just in time for supper!!! The sisters and I enjoyed a GREAT treat!

I know now that I was blessed with MANY signs....God does NOT ignore us...a bit of a sense of humor making us wait a while but He does not ignore us.  He might have been waiting for the most perfect way of sending me a hug (the kids) and easing my mind (Fr Raymond) and a physical sign of caring/nourishment (the banana's). Again, a lesson in trust....how can one EVER doubt with such an overwhelming response as THAT?!  Who am I that I should be so lucky....funny thing is...I think we are all that lucky but it is way too easy to miss the signs from above if we aren't looking for them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol! Love this update! I absolutely love what you are doing and am so happy that you can see the signs that are normally right in front of us that we do not see. I'm working on this as well. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete