Monday, January 21, 2013

HONOR THY FATHER: A TRIBUTE TO JOHN WILLIARD

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

I was pondering the synchronicities in my life as they occur so often that it would be impossible to write them all down. Yesterday, however, I could not get my Father off my mind during Mass. I had a sudden realization that the lessons I have been working on lately had been lessons my Father had tried to instill in me as a youth. This was the lesson of obedience without questioning. 

I have been ever so slowly working on following the inner guidance I am given in my life...this has lead to crazy adventures in Afghanistan, sudden moves across the country, sudden changes in jobs or even attempts at new things in both work and play realms. I have learned from each one. Each new guidance has been progressively more challenging. Obeying is no easy task. 

I realized yesterday that my Father had been preparing me for this exact time in my life....unbeknownst to either of us, I would be asked (by God) to up and move to far away places to do His work and not always in the safest of areas. My offers have always been with conditions..." I will do anything and go anywhere God, but just don't ask me to..."

By following each inner instruction I was given, I learned trust. I have also learned respect and humility. I think this is what my Father was trying to teach me though I was not an easy student to deal with back then. I have learned to offer myself without condition...this is scary but leads to amazing inner breakthroughs. What you receive from doing this is far greater than anything you give up!

Today, on waking, I was tired...I needed something....it was a long week last week without a break. I asked God again...."Please, I need something, anything to get me through this day". I received a note this AM from Brother Johnson that I had 2 packages that needed to be picked up today from the post office/customs office. I was on my way when it hit me...it was my Father's BIRTHDAY today! I had been thinking of him all day yesterday (I ALWAYS forget his birthday for some reason) I was now on my way to pick up a package from my Mother as well as another close friend on his birthday. I was given a HUGE HUG from my own Father on HIS birthday...like I said...when you ask...you receive and the response time can be rather unnerving! 

It all hit me at once...everything he was trying to teach me, I was finally "getting"...I felt he was there with me, maybe even proud (or just glad I finally figured it out). I hope he knows how much I respect him for the devotion to his Faith that he taught me....how much I have learned from him about obeying (finally)...how I now understand humility and how much I very much LOVE HIM!!!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!  YOU ARE MY HERO! 

No comments:

Post a Comment