Sunday, December 30, 2012

PT ROOM UPDATE

OK...I have been getting questions about how the room is coming along and if we are using the PT gym yet????

lowering the urinals for the little guys!
Everything is nearly ready....we are awaiting the finishing of the mural by the local artists (Dan and Nicholas) who are doing an amazing job! They are really creating an energetic piece of work that I KNOW will be healing to all the children who use the gym. I am willing to wait for the creation to be complete in FULL!

Robert has finished all the small repairs and railing stabilization. He is in the process of lowering the urinals for the small boys. I still have to get some grab bars to be installed next to the urinals (which I still have to purchase early next week)

Beauty in the making
Once the mural is done, I will need to do something about the floor. Presently, the stained cement is in serious need of attention. The best option is to tile.  Unfortunately, the Italian tile is the only tile here that I found to be NON skid when wet. It is also the only kind to hold up to the wear and tear (most cheaper tiles break in a month or two making repair work costly). This would fully wipe out the money I had saved for BOTH rehab rooms.

The choice to paint the floor for now is the only feasible option at the moment. This will last 6 months to a year, but by then, we might have other funding resources. I am OK with this...the boys don't care about looks and my focus, being a PT, is FUNCTION!

The equipment I am having built is still not done (though was to be ready by this week....this IS Africa after all). I have 2 bags of PT equipment sitting in the Monastery waiting it's new home! I have already distributed part of the medical equipment that arrived with 2 WONDERFUL men from Portland who volunteered to bring in bags on a pre-planned trip out here.

This would NEVER have happened if it weren't  for the amazing friends and family who have donated the money and supplies! I want to give special KUDOS to them in the next blog entry!

We are almost there....patience was never one of my stronger attributes, though I am learning...and learning and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment