Tuesday, December 11, 2012

REHAB OF THE REHAB ROOM!

The original PT room
(the red cement floor hides the red dirt)

WOW! Things have changed! OK...if you remember, the PT room back in October was just a room with 2 steps to access and no sink and dangling bulbs from wires...(which young boys love to throw things at)

You will NEVER see red dust like this anywhere! I swear if they can find a way to use red dust for some business, then Uganda would be the RICHEST country in the world!

The small back storage room once cleaned out
(can you say lemon yellow?)
You might also remember that there was no real equipment save for some broken walkers, standing frames and mismatched crutches for adults. This was my job...to help set up a foundation that would last and be built upon for future volunteers.

I originally thought just a sink would be nice but also thought this was not going to be possible for a while. This was before I met Father Raymond, a powerful, charismatic priest. See picture below...Father and his boys!

Father Raymond is one of those priests one reads about who change the world. He is also what I call a "Renaissance Priest". He is a powerful preacher, writer, artist, speaker and has travelled the world singing. He often cooks for his Novitiates whose house he oversees. He is a designer and builder/contractor. He has made many fabulous changes within the Bethlehem Home, including
Fr Raymond and his boys
remodeling the kitchen, laundry areas and rooms to make them safer, lighter and more efficient. He will go out of his way to help his boys! He is a priest who gets things DONE! He does NOT like to call any attention to himself giving all praise to God. He would not like me giving him these accolades because he is also very humble. He is my inspiration and the inspiration to many others as well.

Not only that, he is a compassionate counselor, so much so, that people from all over the area travel to see him. It is common for Father Raymond to see 300 people in a day. I wonder if he ever sleeps. You will NEVER see anyone work harder and do so with JOY!

I should have known that when he came in to ask what I wanted done, I would soon be on a wild ride! I only asked for a sink....within 1 hour there was a mason in my PT room with a pick axe and drill ready to take out the wall connecting the PT room with the bathroom...they started before I even had an estimate. I had to go on FAITH!

1.75 MONTHS LATER:

Day 1 (BIG HOLE)
We now have ramps from the PT room to the bathroom and out the front door. I have metal railings on the bathroom ramp...there is a metal door that folds open, bolts into the floor to serve as a railing on the upper ramp.

There is a sink in the gym for ease of handwashing.
Outside ramp
(with hole under door)
We have new light fixtures instead of hanging bulbs. The rooms and bathroom are now painted in soft light colors. The artists have started working. The electrician is putting in an outlet in the gym. I even ordered the large rehab equipment from Katalemwa to be built and ready by mid January.

A few things still need to be repaired...no construction renovation is without sudden issues. Ours is not immune to that either.

We have a leak in the roof (slab cement) which we never noticed until the new paint went up. No one has heard of nor has cement sealer here. I managed to shop around and find some mixer that works with cement to make it waterproof. I only need the ceiling to remain intact thought this rainy season as they are going to fix the slab at the end of the rainy season in Jan or Feb. The railings needed to be reinstalled as they were not strong enough for the children's safety as the cement didn't hold. Godfrey made sure they will now!!! Thanks Godfrey!

installing the door
Metal railing installation
(welded to the floor rebar for strength!) 





















Alfred (L) and Godfrey (R)
(Godfrey is the amazing welder)




Alfred the painter
(fabulous!!) 
























The artists, Nicholas and Dan, are amazing local artists who have done work for Father Raymond already. I had been considering the need for something beautiful but was concerned about the cost of everything and this was not a needed thing. I was sitting in the chapel before Mass early one morning. I was praying for guidance from Mary (as the room is dedicated to Her) I suddenly had a strong hit that I needed to have something beautiful to signify the Virgin Mary. It was one of those hits you don't forget.

I was sitting at lunch that very day, with many new faces present I had not yet met. I was still pondering how I might paint something myself when I asked one of the gentleman why they were visiting that day. He replied "Nicholas and I are artists and we are meeting with Fr Raymond about some work" I nearly jumped out of my seat! I should get used to these coincidences by now as these things happen DAILY!

The first day of adding color

I met with them that day and the next. They mediated for 1-2 weeks to come up with a design fitting for our Holy Mother! It will be beautiful. I gave the Georgia O'Keeffe as an idea. They ran with it. They allowed me to take a few early shots as long as I let people know this is NOT even close to what it will look like in the end. They want this to be the BEST piece they have ever done.

The first sketches






We have had to make a strict rule about keeping the boys out of the gym for now...they are soo curious about the work and what the workers are doing. Unfortunately, they tend to get into things...like paint...like stepping on boxes with my light fixtures, like tracking paint on the floor after jumping on the tarps...AHHH...sigh...must be what it is like to have boys....
softer colors
(the small room is light blue green
versus lemon yellow) 







The usual crowd of secondary
supervisors-curious room destroyers















Get a load of the softer cream color of the bathroom versus the stark white...although I accidentally ordered the wrong color compared to the sample I chose, it worked out even better!

Joseph the electrician


The main reason...the ONLY reason that all of this is being done is for the boys....these little amazing souls, mischievous and loving...heart warming and talented...they need the chance at a life of their own. This room is one way the Brothers can begin to give them this chance! 


They are here to teach us the meaning of
LOVE! 




No comments:

Post a Comment