Sunday, December 16, 2012

FINDING JONAH

Jonah's sponsored child picture
One of the many synchronicities in my coming to Uganda included the fact the Hayden family is sponsoring a child from Kampala, Uganda. The Haydens were vital in helping me with logistical planning and transport to and from the airport in NJ. They were also the last stop for me before embarking on a plane to Africa!

Anna and Matthew Hayden asked if there was ANY WAY I could visit their sponsored "brother" Jonathan Sserumpanise, an 8 year old orphan being raised with his siblings by his Grandmother. Jonah (as he likes to be called) lost both his parents early on which is quite common here.

Jonah goes to school thanks to the sponsorship of the Hayden family. School is the only way these children have a chance at taking care of themselves when they become adults.                                                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                             
The Haydens
           


I asked Michael my friend/boda driver to help me find Jonah. The papers said Kampala, but turns out Jonah lives near central Uganda about 50-60 miles west of Kampala. Michael managed to research the town and where the school was located. Finding the school was the first step.

Getting around Uganda requires a driver who LIVES here...there are no street signs and all directions are given using landmarks. We had no landmarks. Michael asked around and was able to find the town name, so today...OFF we went!

Pretty view along the way
We hit some pretty green rolling hills just 4-5 miles outside of town. I saw some groves or eucalyptus trees, a lot of cows with HUGE horns, goats, banana trees and those large trees that always appear in African pictures that look more like umbrellas (I really should find out the names before I write these blogs).

The drive took us 1:20 to reach the turn off of the highway (by the way...the highway has speed bumps when passing small towns...not just one but 4 consecutive...to make everyone go slow) This of course was teeth rattling when I was looking around NOT expecting them!

We turned right on the first drivable dirt road we came to on our right. Michael was told to veer to the right after about 40 miles...ish. HMMM. We did ask at the corner to be sure before we proceeded.

The road was just as rutted as the usual Ugandan road. It was also used by goats, chickens, cows, kids, boda's, etc etc.
Turning onto the right road...we think...
We passed the usual mud and brick homes along the way...children playing with old tires (usually rolling them along the side of the road), children picking berries (they may have been grasshoppers but they looked they were berry picking), children doing laundry...YES WESTERN MOM's OF THE WORLD...CHILDREN AS YOUNG AS 5-8 DO THE FAMILY LAUNDRY!

I felt odd about snapping pictures so most of these are taken "on the go". Here are some scenes...





We drove another 45 min (which seemed like forever!) until we reached what we thought was the town...people we met kept gesturing up the road. The kids kept staring at me...not many Muzungu's out here!

On the go shot! 
We found what we were told was the school we were looking for. We had at least 10 kids drop their piles of wood (which they were carrying on their heads) to run after us and check out who we were and what we were doing there. We didn't stay long and I was glad...most of the kids (all under 8) were wielding machetes they used to chop the branches. They were swinging them (probably like you would an old stick BUT...I kept thinking of "Hotel Rwanda"and was glad to move on)

The building was actually a Catholic Church and our destination still lay ahead...by how far...we did not know...just "ahead"and "over that hill a ways". Well...there were many hills!

We did some river crossings (the road was flooded over from the earlier rains) and we even passed some cows enjoying it! It was quite warm but the long sleeves actually kept me from burning. Some people had parkas on though it was at least 75!

WILDLIFE!

OK...we finally came to the right town...found the school (which was closed for the Holidays). Michael asked some of the kids if they knew Jonah. One shrugged, another pointed up one road and the small girls corrected them and pointed the other way. I had Jonah's picture with me...when the girls saw the picture, you could see they immediately recognized him. They pointed us up a narrow, steep, rutted and muddy path through a field. I guess this is how one finds people and places here in Uganda.
OK...It IS steep...I swear! 

We followed it up for only 50 yards before it became evident that I would have to walk (and push the Boda) up the path.
Michael arrived ahead of me to greet the owner of the home whose land we were now trespassing on.

It belonged to a grandmother who was also caring for her 3 grandchildren. I was sad it wasn't Jonah. Michael talked with the Jaja (Grandmother) for a bit before she figured out who we were asking about. He indeed did live nearby. She left to get her neighbor who might be able to take us to the house. At this point, wandering around would be sure to get us lost!

the 3 young neighbors of Jonah
I took this opportunity to greet the small children of the home. The boys were doing laundry while their younger sister sat there staring at me. They did manage to smile when I asked (in Luganda...thanks to Michael's quick lesson) if they wanted a "sweet".
Shots around the home
                                       









The little sister

The Grandmother and neighbor (also a Grandmother) spent a good deal of time talking with Michael re this young boy and his whereabouts. I think they enjoyed the impromptu visit and were making the most of it by chatting.

Around the home
Turns out, Jonah and his family left the day before for a funeral for Jonah's Grandfather. It was most likely an elderly member of Jonah's family as he had already lost his Grandfather years before.

I pretty much lost hope that we would find them especially since the battery in Michaels' phone died and I was out of air time as of this AM. Jonah's family did have a cell phone (seems everyone does...even in rural areas). The neighbor ran back home to get us the number. We headed back to town to get more airtime to see if we could meet up with them somewhere.

The Grandmothers got a "sweet" as well and they were very agreeable to a picture. PLEASE note, people NEVER smile in pictures here...believe me they were giggling like school girls before and after and especially when they saw their "snap".

The children at the "end of the road"
OFF we went back the way we came. Managed to borrow some one's cell phone, contacted the family (who were on their way back from the funeral) and arranged to meet them at the end of a dirt road (the first one we would come to on our right off the highway going back the way we came)...again...I would have given up but Michael was confident.

How long do we wait??? I asked Michael...he replied..."they just left and it may take 30 min or so before they reach here. We'll wait". OK...it was now 4:30 PM...no lunch, gets dark at 7 PM...looking like rain in the distance...Michael plops down to chat with the local men. I pass out sweets to the staring children...who then all sit next to me amongst the chickens. We could not communicate so I sang them Christmas songs...the adults on the corner were talking about me and chuckling. I only know this because it was the same old.."blah blah blah, Muzungu, blah blah blah and then laughter". Doesn't bother me...I just smile and wave.


Now they know I have sweets with me!

FINALLY...a huge open bed truck rambles down the road..exactly 30 min later in fact! Michael gets up saying "this is it"...how he knows this is beyond me! Michael asks and sure enough a young boy comes to the railing. I ask "Are you Jonah??" He just nods with a serious face. I tell him that his sponsored family asked that I come to find him to let him know they care about him very much. I also told him, they sent a gift along with me.

Meeting Jonah for the first time! 
The Jaja in the truck is smiling and telling Jonah to get down. Everyone in the truck is hanging over the edge to see what is going on. I give Jonah the soccer ball and his face immediately shines with a huge smile. He goes down on his knees and grabs my hands (a sign of respect for one's elders) and thanks me in Luganda.

I give him the rest of the candy and we take "snaps" all around! Everyone in the truck is cheering. I took a video of Jonah shyly saying "thank you" to Anna and Matthew but he kept trying to kneel and we had to pull him back to his feet to keep him in the shot!
Look at how excited the Jaja in yellow is!!! 

The WHOLE truck waved and shouted "BYE-EEEE!!" as they pulled away and headed back West along the highway! I assured Jonah I would be back to visit him and his family after the Holidays.

SOO Anna and Matthew!!! Master Jonah wanted you to know just how HAPPY you made him! He is especially grateful for the education and the opportunity to go to school! Rest assured he is going to have a HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

                                            PEACE AND JOY TO EVERYONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment