Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A GIRL'S GOTTA CHOOSE!

Day 1 (of many) visits to Sadolin
Michael trying to be patient
ANYONE who knows me, knows that for me, choosing paint colors is a project in itself! When last I painted, it took me nearly 42 samples and one month to make a decision. I have been known to paint a room, only to repaint it in 24 hours because it didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I was told by Fr Raymond, I had a week to pick it out. RATS.

The only thing that saved everyone else from enduring the pain of my prolonged choosing, was the limited paint color options and limited paint stores. I went with Sadolin because they are advertised ALL over the city and are on almost every wall, billboard, etc. I suppose this is where advertising pays off!

Alfred doing the prep work and filling
holes
Alfred, the painter, is a true professional. He cares about his work and has his opinions (which are usually correct...well..OK...he was right all along) The other thing that limited my sample choices was the fact that no one sells samples here....you are lucky to get 1/2 liter. Usually one has to pay for a full liter (about 15,000 shillings or 6.50 USD ish)

NOT to mention the fact it takes 30-40 min to get one way to downtown and then the same time or more to get back depending on traffic AND the fact all the paint has to be carried on the back of a boda boda...or more accurately, in my lap.

Things are not really, what you call efficient or snappy service in Africa. Add the time to sit and speak with a paint representative (mine was Eren...Eren and I became quite well aquainted with each other by the time this was all said and done). THEN you go to the next desk to have her re-write the slip the rep gives you...THEN you stand in line at the window to pay....THEN they call in the order for your paint. The bottom of the slip always says 20 min....the more accurate thing to do is add about 2 hours in front of that 20 min.

My many choices (he is smiling ONLY because I told him he had to!)
( the one he is painting won out...I chose the more cream colored one above the blank taped off area)
Day 2 ( of many)
NOTE: he is wearing different clothes
so it is NOT the same day
THEN...when the paint finally arrives, Eren will approach you, give that lemon in the mouth look with a sad shake of the head as if empathizing and softly say..."I am sorry, we seem to have a problem...we are full out of liter tins and you will have to come back tomorrow."

He is smiling now because he is almost DONE!
I have gone through this now 3 times! The only benefit was the fact I was able to get more scratch off instant win tickets for buying more paint. The young girl in charge of this desk was kind and let me have 5 instead of 2 when she found out I was working for Missionaries of the Poor. I had told her that I was determined to win the drawing for a new car! The Brothers REALLY need it! (we finally have the van back but the pickup is still out of
   commission and the large truck still has "mechanical issues")

I won a handful of pens which I gave to the sisters, to the boda driver and to the painter (ALL were thrilled like it was Christmas). I won some airtime which I gave to the driver as well. I needed to...it was painful for him to have to cart me around....his response "We're going BACK to the paint store again?!"

Day 3 (He doesn't yet know the artists just told
me they need more paint! SHHHH)
Then it was 17 samples all on the wall and 3 days of looking and deciding....I narrowed it down to 2 colors....the vote was evenly split but the artists and Fr Raymond won out...it was the color Alfred chose originally...hmmm....he could have saved me the time, huh?

We now have 2 beautiful rooms. The paint is perfect and blends well with the floor and the light in the room. The artists are happy and so am I!


No comments:

Post a Comment