Sunday, December 2, 2012

PREPARING FOR CHRISTMAS


Do you see what I see? Way up in the sky, or across the ocean in the slums of Uganda, do you see what I see? A star, a star!... in fact many stars, dancing in the night! We now enter the profound time of the birth of our Savior into this world of great need. There is so much more I see.

 I see these forgotten children show me true caring. I see Shaffique, who is still learning to walk, totter around the dorm carrying a bucket with toothbrushes. I curiously watch him leaning over the bed of a disabled child who is blind, deaf and paralyzed. I see Shaffique gently brush his teeth. I see the child lay there quietly with this mouth open. This child normally clenches and grinds his teeth. It is unusual to see him so still while Shaffique cares for him. They do not know I SEE them. 

Do you hear what I hear? Ringing through the world…a song amidst the pain and the poverty. I hear Lokilo singing his heart out about the love of his God while beating a tune out onto the table…I hear autistic Tusubira laugh one of his rare laughs for no reason today…I hear Trevor giggle when one of the brothers tickles his belly. I hear Ivan ask if I can help him walk and then clap wildly when I say YES!

We should respond with a loving voice as big as the sea!

Do you know what I know? In your homes warm and cozy, do you know what I know? I know too much and yet I know its not even close to the reality of most of the world’s poor.  A child, a child shivers in the cold, or from lack of love or from lack of family or from hunger.

These children know the pain of abandonment, yet they smile and laugh and never complain. They know what it is like to be without family, yet I see Misoke, a 3 year old albino boy, squat down next to Peter, a 5 yr old with cerebral palsy and gently wash Peter’s face after lunch.  I think they might know more than I.

Let us bring them gifts of silver and gold (gifts of LOVE to everyone around us; gifts of COMPASSION to our own dear ones; gifts of GENEROSITY to our own poor)

For unto us a child is born, in fact many children…OUR children, the children of the world…for they are ours! What we do to the least of our brothers…

See them cross the sky with their bright pure souls, hear them whisper the most profound loving things in your ear, know that they are still children and require our protection (it takes a clan…) Let us bring them the basics but first and foremost....      let us bring them LOVE.

For unto us a child is born!

You can help the Missionaries of the Poor serve the poorest of the poor abandoned and disabled children at Christmas!


“Whenever you did this to the least of my brethren, you did it to me” -
Matthew 25:40


Contact: Father Henry Lozano, Missionaries of the Poor Superior at: 

MISSIONARIES OF THE POOR
Our Lady of Good Counsel Monastery
Plot 96, Sembule Street, Mutundwe
P.O. Box 28813
Kampala, Uganda, East Africa
Tel: (256) 752-272112 / 750-332244
Skype: mopkampala

No comments:

Post a Comment