Thursday, December 13, 2012

MUZUNGU WITH THE RED FACE ON PARADE!

OK....I NEVER thought I would go a solid 3 months without ANY form of exercise save for picking up 10-40# kids from the floor. My head keeps thinking I can just go out and do an easy 8 miles of hills running.....NOT!!!!! I also keep forgetting I am rather close to 50 now. SHHH

After a few emotional swings (unprovoked crying) I decided enough was enough! My own Mother had to talk some sense into me....I always go up into the mountains backcountry skiing or running or biking (mountain and road) to find my center. She reminded me that this "might help some" HMMMM

Some pics for your viewing pleasure
(down the road from Busega)
I finally worked up the courage Monday after work. I actually got home by 3 PM. I had no excuses....the power was out anyway (as usual) and my laundry done and no pressing paperwork....it's that FIRST step that is always hard. I primarily and completely lacked the courage. I forced myself to dress (long pants due to the modesty here with 80 degree temps), say a short prayer for protection in the chapel and headed out.

No one was around...no one to tell where I was going...literally...it was like the cartoons when the crickets come out. I was rethinking this wasn't such a great idea. I wasn't sure it was safe to leave without anyone knowing where I was. This is when the truck with the Brothers arrived from the apostolate. They were the aspirants who I teach (English)...I told the senior brother where, how long and when I'd be back. I had my phone with me just in case and proceeded to leave.

I then heard calls from the back of the truck in fake high pitched sing song voices " HI SISTER CAROL!!" The brothers always tease me about my high pitched voice. I asked if anyone wanted to run with me...the whole truck volunteered but 2 jumped out begging for me to ask permission from their formator. They pointed to where he was and then they...well...hid. Brother Augustus was very kind and understanding about my "fear of going alone"...we walked out of his office still talking, only to run into the group of "volunteer runners" nonchalantly walking past (as if they knew nothing). Pretty funny as they were quite obvious to me.

"On the go" Boda Boda shot
(this is why it is blury) 
Brother Augustus said in a stern voice "Take these two...they are good runners." They immediately jumped up and ran to their dorms to change with HUGE smiles on their faces. Brother Augustus told me they would take good care of me. I thanked him and was off with the two in no time.

OK....NOTE TO SELF:  NEVER ASK TWO 20 yr old KENYANS to go running with you on hills at 3,000 feet of elevation after not exercising AT ALL for 3 months. This would have been hard even if I WAS in shape! You guessed it! I was SUCKING WIND BAD!!! I nearly puked right out of the gate! The brothers had fun laughing at me (I was laughing too) ..."What? Are you tired already Sister Carol???" I was too out of breath to even respond! I sent them off to do the the Labrador dog thing...you know...sprint up ahead and then run back to me.

I managed 30 min but probably barely 2 miles (they probably ran about 5..seriously). My face was as red as my shirt by the time we got back. I was glad they were with me because it was like....

             "The Muzungu with the red face on parade!" 

The whole neighborhood got a kick out of it. I was glad I had no idea what they were saying besides "blah blah blah, Muzungu" followed by peals of laughter and some whistles (not meant to be bad but more of a cheer...I think...hmmm.. I hope anyway) The brothers were kind to me and ran the whole way back at my pace. They refused to sprint ahead. They even begged to do this every day with me.

Chickens....where the stuff in the stores
comes from! 
I made a point of NOT taking pictures as your imagination will most likely be close enough to reality! I can tell you my face remained red for 2 hours. Not sunburned by the way. I FELT Great despite this and continue to chuckle about the whole idea.

Michael (my boda driver/friend) asked me the next morning in a confused voice...."Sister Carol, did you go running the other day by any chance? If you did, you looked like you were in pain!" (Michael lives up that same road) I just said in a straight voice..."Naw...must be some other Muzungu"

PS...I ran alone today and was able to manage MUCH better! (faster, farther, no puking)

No comments:

Post a Comment