Sunday, October 21, 2012

SUNDAY OUTING

Boda driver with "Stuff" 
SUNDAY 10/21/12: I had an adventure to Bumamwaya-Mutundwe an area just up the road (and I do mean UP). Nurse Christine invited me to attend the open house she organized at her church. She is a 53 year old native Kenyan nurse involved with an NGO working on free AIDs testing/counselling as well as women's support groups. Christine does this in addition to volunteer work at her church, maintaining a family (3 boys and a husband) as well as running a large clinic she and her husband (an MD himself) own. Christine also teaches basic nursing skills to the Brothers at the Monastery in the evenings.

Fr Raymond arranged one of the parishioners to take me on her way home after church. Her name is Annette, a beautiful petite woman, well dressed and well spoken. We turned right out of the Monastery ( I was excited as I had not been this direction before and was quite curious). The road was dirt the whole way and began climbing at a greater than 6% grade. This is steep for loose dirt and huge potholes (which seemed to be in greater number here). We came upon the top of the rise to find a moderate sized "trading center" (multiple small container shops). It was here Annette had to call for directions. Turns out we were just down the road.

Boda driver with a woman
she is sitting side saddle
There is something to say for being just outside of town...though the roads were considerably worse, the contrast between the red dirt and the now increasing green foliage was stunning! Many more banana trees and palms covered the lush green hillsides. colorful red and green rooftops added to the backdrop as an impressionist painter would paint.

Local stand near home








We arrived when Mass was still in session. Women sat with their wares under a tent to protect them from both the hot sun and the potential rain. The women were part of a support group of HIV positive women trying to find a way to make a living. The stigma is still present and people tend to stay away from and not hire people who are HIV positive. This is why many people do not get tested. They say they would rather NOT know. Christine is a one woman army trying to change that and to empower women to take charge of their lives and be self sustaining. She wants to "bust" all the myths and stigmas though education and awareness.

I enjoyed meeting all of the ladies! There were so many items to choose from including hand stained and woven handbags made from banana leaves; my favorite, bags of Geenuts; beaded sandels; woven pots and wide bowls which were amazing! I wish I had brought more money as I wanted to buy something from each of the women!

People did file in after mass and also arrived from the community to take advantage of the free testing. Christine was hoping for more than 200 people and we were close to that (though she preferred MORE). I would hear Christine tsk then shake her head..."We needed to get the word out more...we needed to advertise more" She is quite passionate about her work and wants to help many more people.

Boda with Man and Bucket ( I love this blurred picture)
I don't love the fact there aren't any helmets
The church prepared lunch for the volunteers. I realized how costly it was for the church to do this and I asked Christine if she wouldn't mind if I skipped and allowed her to be with her volunteers. She would have NONE of that. It is culturally important that if you have a guest, you feed that guest. She tells me that people take great pleasure in this and to refuse would be hurtful. I stayed and was GLAD to as I was hungry and would have missed lunch at the Monastery.

Christine explained that when feeding a large gathering of people, which can be costly, one usually serves rice, Matoke and Geenut sauce along with a vegetable/meat stew. Bottled water is also a must. We went through the line being served by the older women who had done the cooking and who were anxious for us to ENJOY thier cooking. I looked around...no forks or spoons! Christine caught me glancing around and smiled, "You OK with your hands???" I smiled back and said "Of course!"

walking home 
I was secretly nervous as I haven't eaten with my fingers since I was 2! It was hard enough to learn how to eat without a napkin at the Monastery! Christine had to attend to a few things so I was glad that she would not have to witness my most certain mess. The food was too hot to touch though everyone else was diving in. I watched carefully on the technique and tried to follow suit. I actually did quite well and was proud of myself. I was nearly done by the time Christine came back. She smiled and said she was pleased I attempted this.

Once everything was cleaned up and put away, we walked down the road to her clinic. I met her husband who had a near constant chuckle and smile. They toured me around the pharmacy (well stocked and organized as I would suspect from Christine). They had an outpatient clinic as well as an inpatient clinic with at least 15 rooms and facilities. I was amazed. The hospital had only 1 client at the moment (everything is private pay here) but there were a steady stream of people coming in on an outpatient basis. Christine tells me there are times the hospital is overflowing. People here know her and trust her care.

Push Ups...1, 2 , 3 
Alas, it was getting ate and I had to leave. I also needed to  allow the 2 of them to rest a bit before the busy week coming up. Christine walked me to the top of the hill to catch a taxi (public bus). I still was not sure which corner to stop so I opted for a Boda Boda instead. Christine guaranteed that she would take me to town to see the real open air market and she would teach me how to go by taxi! I was thrilled about this and gave her the customary 3 sided hug (hug to one side, then the other and then the other again) I have a feeling the two of us will make great friends though she is already me mentor. I waved goodbye and she said "See you again, God willing" ...I replied "OHHH HE will! I have no doubt!"

No comments:

Post a Comment