Saturday, October 6, 2012

OUT ON THE TOWN & THEN TO THE ER

My Saturday started out lovely! I hired a driver to take me to town to get some things for the kids, get my phone fixed and to the bank. I called the driver Eric recommended as his wife and her folks use him when they are in town. I was nervous because I had never met him and our conversation was brief. He said he'd be there by 9 AM. Brother Johnson was expecting me to go to work that day with the others but I declined to get these things taken care of.

I let the gate guard know I had a driver picking me up at 9 AM. I sat outside on the porch waiting. I saw a car drive up, talk with the gate guard and leave. I walked up to the guard who said, " He has not yet come, Sister" Brother Johnson was kind to lend me a phone at about 9:45 AM to call. The car that drove up earlier was indeed Peter, but the gate guard had told him I went to work. I asked Peter if he could still come to get me and he replied "No problem" and was there in 10 min.

Peter arrived and the gate guard chuckled, now realizing his mistake. I was relieved to know Peter spoke very good English, was well travelled and very fun to talk to. He has a wife who is pregnant and a 7 yr old daughter. He declares himself a farmer though he also drives for a company as well as privately for added income. He was so kind to take me everywhere I needed to go and walk with me. I felt much better about this until I learn my way around.

We sat and had coffee, real coffee for the first time in over a week. It was heavenly! I found things I needed for the kids though most everything is crazy expensive! Take for instance hangers. They run about 27-28.00 dollars for 15. yes...can you believe it? I now know why I can never find rags to wipe down the kids...one dish towel cost 7.00! Prices are insane. I may have gone to the wrong store but things are still expensive.

I made it home safe and sound and wanted to take a nap but we had 5 PM prayer. This lasts quite awhile along with prolonged kneeling. I couldn't kneel as my knees were bothering me so I just sat. Part of the way through the ceremony, one of the girls collapsed. It looked like she just passed out, eyelids tremebled a bit, but no outward signs of seizure. She was breathing and had a pulse which was my major concern since after 10 min she was still out! I had forgotten to bring a BP cuff...RATS! Apparantly, this had happened 2 weeks prior and she was out for an hour then. The girls said the MD told her she had asthma and ulcers. Well, it didn't look like asthma to me.

She was like this for 20 min when we carried her to bed ( I wanted her to stay outside on the porch where there was air as it was a bit warm that afternoon). She began to tremor a bit and breath very heavy and fast. She was not yet responding to commands though she could move her leg and hands a bit and did rock her head side to side. Her eyes were still rolled back. The Brothers said they would take her to the ER clinic because it had been 30 min now. I had a gut feeling they might not be able to find anything.

Remind me NEVER to get sick here....there was nothing at the clinic save for a few Rx meds and some tables. The MD's have to do them best they can and rely on experience and intuition. Anyhow...the MD came in and turns to me to find out what was wrong....because I'm white? I explained what I saw (Uganda people are soft spoken, shy and volunteer very little information) He told me he had treated her for hypoglycemia and Malaria last time it happened. He said she has ulcers and wasn't eating. This time, though she had been eating so he was unsure of what might be happening.

BP was normal and pulse in mid 80's. They gave her an IV. She was already coming in and out and opening her eyes and breathing less hard. I just kept stroking her and calmly telling her she was OK, she was safe....this seemed to work more than anything. She woke up after 1 hour of this. I didn't want to meddle but I was trying to hear what the MD was saying and giving her. He gave her a shot of something in the IV for her "ulcers" They did a blood test for malaria and a CBG. Both negative. I asked if he thought she had bleeding ulcers and was anemic....they checked this with the most archaic machine I had ever seen! blood counts fine.

Another MD came in and pressed her belly 2 times and asked if it hurt. She said yes. He asked if she had ulcers. She said yes. He told her she passed out d/t pain from ulcers and she needs to eat every 3 hours and drink milk, eat bananas and avocados. They didn't ask about her cycle, BM's or anything...they gave her an antibiotic, Flagyl, Omeprazole and another stomach med to cover all bases. I suppose there is not much else they were able to do.

Well...last I remembered, one doesn't pass out for an hour d/t stomach ulcers, tremor and moan...she was fully flaccid both sides most of the time which was odd (one cannot fake true flaccidity and most PT's can catch a faker). No facial droop or drooling, no teeth clenching....most odd. She is OK now though and was back to normal in less than 24 hrs.

I had to walk home in the dark to get the Brothers to bring the van to pick up our patient. It was only about 1/4 mile or less away. Sister Wini had to tell me which direction and both girls laughed at my poor sense of direction here quite heartily. I then had the opportunity of trying to cross the road in the dark. I do mean DARK. No streetlights and tons of traffic. I could NOT find a moment that there wasn't 20 cars coming each way. A group of Boda Boda drivers were kitty corner from me watching my attempts. I would start out and then jump back. I started hearing "GO NOW! GO NOW!" I would start and then step back...you could heard a collective "AWHHHH" then another encouraging "GO NOW!" This went on for nearly 10 min! I finally got a break both directions and darted across to the laughter of the Boda Boda drivers. Well, I have one advantage over the locals, I'm white as a ghost and glow in the dark!

THE ONLY benefit of this excursion (by the way..I got outside the walls) was that the Brothers felt soo overwhelmed by the ER visit, that when we got back, we had a feast set out for us including coke and fanta sodas...ya baby! no beer though. The other major benefit was the bonding experience with the other girls. We are having enjoyable times together. I still cannot understand much of what they say (soft spoken and the accent) But they don't mind repeating when I ask and they say they miss me when I'm gone....well...I DID bring them back chocolate for a treat! That can make friends anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment