Friday, October 5, 2012

GOAT CALAMARI, MACARONI & LIVER for Breakfast!


Everyone wants to know what the Food is like. I have to admit, enjoying food as much as I do, I was curious as well.

My first taste of Uganda was actually a Ugandan beer! Seeing as I am staying in a Monastery, this would be greatly frowned upon so that was the last one. The meals I had out on the town were amazing (a Mediterranean place and an Ethiopian restaurant). Our meals at the Monastery are simple, nutritious  and tasty! 

BREAKFAST: Usually consists of a banana, bread with butter and milk tea. Today we had porridge (which though made more like a thick soup) was quite tasty. We also had a fried turnover stuffed with meat and regular tea. The tea is like a Chai tea of sorts and is really good. One morning we had a green lime looking fruit. I asked what it was and one of the girls said “an orange”. I looked at her confused and said, “That doesn’t look like an orange” She asked me what an orange looked like in my country. I pointed to the bright orange plate in front of me and said “like this, Orange”…they all laughed.  The other day we even had macaroni for breakfast. Seriously….mixed with tomatoes and some broth. Very odd but surprisingly good. The oddest breakfast was gravy and biscuits….It had meat in it…turns out it was LIVER! The girls told me it was dog liver and I nearly freaked…they thought this was funny as they were just teasing me….has anyone else had liver for breakfast?

LUNCH: We usually have rice and a mix of potato and veggies in a broth.  The veggies are sparse but adequate. There usually a fruit but not always. Most lunches have had meat in it! Yesterday I saw tubular looking things in my broth. I asked what it was….turns out goat intestines. I decided to try it though the thought of it made that difficult at first. It tasted fine and more like the fatty part of a cut of beef but the consistency of calamari. I think I’ll call it Goat Calamari! HMMM ..I remembered the goat being prepared the day before.

Today we had rice and chunks of meat which may have also been goat but tasted like beef....really good. I waited until the Brothers were served though they were insisting I go up. I was near the end but the Brother serving doled out several chunks of beef for me that I didn’t see anyone else get. That was very nice and very kind and a gesture of a gracious host to a guest. I have no need to be given any special privileges but felt honored. What a kind gesture.

Yesterday we had maize flour (looks like instant potatoes but thicker) veggie and meat broth with potatoes. All meals are served with cold filtered water.

TEAT TIME: Tea or Tang. I usually go for the Tang hot! Reminds me of being a kid! There is also regular bread or also these pastry rolls rolled long like a cinnamon roll but with something red sparingly rolled inside. It is slightly sweeter than regular bread but not very sweet. It tastes good dipped in Tang!

FUNNY STORY: mealtime is usually quiet. The girls usually eat in silence. I am not sure this is a requirement or just they way people have a meal together here. They all speak in near whispers. There are conversations going on all the time but inaudible. There are faint eye and hand wave signs and gestures. I am figuring out that one may mean pass the bowl or put a lid back on the pot or give Sister Rose a glass of water, please.

Today I was thinking of lots of things from the day. I was just eating as I am used to…fast…before I knew it I was done and just sitting there gazing. I caught one of those head nod signals and before I knew it, there was a bowl of rice and veggie stew sitting in front of me. I looked up and noted that everyone else was only ½ way through her meal. They were all staring at me. One girl nodded ( a gesture meaning go ahead and grab some more). I realized I must have looked starved…. I just started laughing out loud as did the whole table suddenly. The conversation remained more audible after this with whispered chatting and giggles. 

APPETITES: Eating 3 x day is a new thing for me. It has been something that I have been aiming at trying to do for years. Sometimes I am able to and most of the time I just work through the day and forget. We eat 3 x day with a snack here. I have only opted to miss the snack. They won’t start a meal without everyone there and you must politely wait for everyone to finish before Thanks giving grace. This can be torture for me when I want to get back to the kids. Alas, it may actually be putting me into better habits especially the ones of grateful praise.

The women and men here eat very well. They are all very small yet they pile the food on their plates. I keep commenting to them how amazing they can eat and they always comment on how little I am taking. I laugh and tell them that I am OLD and don’t need to eat as much as they do (they are all around 20 yrs. old) One girl thought she was older than me and made me give my age first. I told her 47 and she jumped and gasped. I asked her how old she was and she said 20. “Did you really think you were older than me????” I asked. She just giggled and said she had no idea but “No matter, you don’t look that old” That was the nicest thing I heard all day!


No comments:

Post a Comment