Saturday, October 13, 2012

IT TENDS TO RAIN ON BIRTHDAYS

The Sisters and I had sat down for dinner one evening. One of the Sisters was wearing a plastic cap on her head. There was some whispered talk going on which I could not hear or understand (this is not at all abnormal as dinner tends to be quiet) I asked the Sister with the cap if she was feeling well because she was not smiling and was not talkative and kept holding her head. She never responded so I took this as a "No".

I asked again later if she was feeling OK because this is so unlike her. She just shook her head and looked down. I kept hearing snickers from the other girls. It sounded as though they were teasing her about her shower cap. She sharply responded to them that she already washed her hair. I couldn't figure it out but alas, dinner went on as usual.

We had been sitting there for a bit after eating when the girls started clapping out a tune...turns out it was "Happy Birthday". I felt bad that I had missed Sister Philomena's Birthday and joined in gaily singing with the others. That's when I witnessed the tradition of Birthdays. One of the girls stood behind Sister Phillomena and dumped an entire bottle of water over her head. She just sat there smirking and shaking her head.

IT got worse! Then there was a bucket, more cups until EVERYONE in the room ( save me and there were 10 girls) poured some amount of water over her head. Everyone was laughing and at this point, so was Sister Philomena. Remind me NEVER to tell them the date of my Birthday!

I have had the opportunity to witness a few Birthday celebrations now. They have some similarities to ours in that they sing "Happy Birthday" they also like to tease the person about how old they are ( if you are a man...they pick on how little hair you have or how grey it is) and sometimes there is cake. I believe I described the cake last time. Usually carrot that is a dry crumbly consistency with a hard frosting. It's good...not like Mom's but good.

It's the DOUSING that everyone finds amusing and fun! No one gets away without being "baptized" once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment