Saturday, September 29, 2012

PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR

Just a quick note to let all know I made it to my new HOME in Uganda last night safe and sound! Once on the plane, all was smooth sailing. The trip from Amsterdam to Entebbe was especially comfortable and I was able to see all the movies I had not been able to see before I left!

I arrived, as did all my bags, at 9:30 PM Frid 9/28/12. The airport, though small, could have been PDX for that matter!

The drive from the airport to Kampala at night was interesting. I was getting into the car when Eric said "unless you'd like to drive, I suggest the other side". Ooops, Forgot. The whole way home, I kept thinking we would get hit being on the "wrong" side of the road.

Driving here is pretty much like a video game. People generally kept to their side of the road though dodging cars without lights and people dressed in dark clothes crossing the road was an experience. We drove past small markets still open (since it was Friday PM), music, sounds of music and laughter You can see hills and hills in the backdrop of the night sky (despite the high beams shining in our eyes from oncoming traffic).  Little lights dotted the hills to the city edge but then there was a line of just darkness spanning out from there.

The roads up these hills are generally steep. We pulled onto a rutted dirt road past the Lab where Eric works to a little group of houses. Most houses have high walls, barbed wire and a gate. There was a funeral going on in his complex so many cars and people were there. Eric said people here go to funerals all the time, a very unfortunate thing.

We sat on the porch in the nice 70 degree F night air and chatted for a bit before turning in. There are many more unfamiliar sounds (esp at night!). I slept very well and though woke early (7:30 AM) went back to bed for another 2.5 hr nap before finally getting up. Eric is on a mountain bike ride ( I would be there as well if there was another bike!)

I am sitting here looking out over cloudy skies. There is a nice breeze and the temp feels like the low 70's. A strange looking bird the size of a hawk just landed in the top of tree nearby. It has a plumage off the top of the head that makes it look prehistoric in a way. I did my usual bird whistle but only caught the sleepy gaze of a dog on the porch. I hear thunder in the background as it is now getting into the rainy season.

Sorry no pictures for now. I will try and take some in the next few days.

PEACE OUT!

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment