Friday, September 14, 2012

A TRIBUTE TO MOTHERS

The logistical planning for leaving the country for a year can be a bit overwhelming at times. I think I have everything done and several new things pop up. All takes time...much more than I had planned. I am home for a last visit with family and friends....the plan is to spend quality 1 on 1 time together and take a breather before heading out. That was the plan though not the reality.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am a planner and fairly adept at organization and efficiency. Despite this, I worked at getting ready up until 11:30 PM the night before I left...not the calm peaceful exit I had hoped for.

There is just something about "Moms".  I could not have gotten ready these last 10 days if it hadn't been for my Mom. Somehow, they know what to do without asking. They go about their work with a quiet methodical efficiency, taking care of several things without one knowing it is even happening. While I am frantically updating accounts, trying to get information, ordering last minute supplies for the trip, my Mother is in the background moving quietly like the stealth of a panther. I look up from my work and I see all my laundry done and hanging (I still don't know how she manages to fold things so nicely), the sewing machine out and my pants being taken in (I like Good Will shopping and tend to get things that don't fit....the safety pins though functional and practical, are just not that attractive)

Mom has also managed to run several errands for me,,,batteries, over the counter meds, pens, etc etc. There is also my favorite food sitting out on the table...all of this done in a very short span of time with no outward request.

Mom at my Niece Natalie's soccer game 


THEN, there is the "Driving Miss Daisy". Since I am out of town, I have no transport for errands. The plan A sort of fell through and I never thought of a plan B...SOOO.. in between my Mother's normal schedule of: going to church, taking communion to the homebound, chairing the prayer quilt ministry, taking time for coffee with family and friends, attending the lunches and get togethers at her apartment complex, working on the prayer request phone chain, etc etc, she has to drive me all over town to run errands and take care of business before I leave.

My Mother just keeps going and going. She drives us to Columbus, Ohio to visit with the rest of the family gathering there. I immediately get out of the car and want to take a nap. She, having driven the 2 hrs to get there, immediately starts on laundry, cleaning windows and doing dishes then chasing after my 2 yr old nephew.

I have No idea how she does it. I have no idea why I was so lucky that God decided to give her to me. It must be because He knew I needed a LOT of help! So..3 cheers for MOTHERS ...ALL Mothers. The world is a better place because of you....You are the strength and the thread holding this world together. I can't wait for the time when the rest of the world wakes up and realizes this!!!

HIP HIP HURRAY! HIP HIP HURRAY! HIP HIP HURRAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment