Monday, November 5, 2012

THE CONSTRUCTION CONTINUES!


Not "boy proof" 
I get excited coming to work to see what progress was made on the rehab room! We now have ramps...As you can see, we had to start the ramp from inside the PT room as there was no space for an "L" shaped ramp out the door (or a longer ramp due to the drop off from the veranda). The result is that we are lacking a "boy proof" entry into the gym....YES...they can get in a 5" high space....they already have. I will need to design a trap door from the inside bottom of the door that closes and locks when we leave the gym (through the bathroom) at the end of the day. I am OPEN for options (preferably not a full sized door on the outside: this would block the safety railings on the ramp anyway)

Our Mason & Over-all Amazing Handi Man!
We continue to do "PT" in the dorms, the dining area and the walkways (when it is not raining) It is now full on rainy season! It is more challenging to do PT in the dorms due to the distractions of the other boys, but hey, they need love and attention too! All of them are getting better daily. My idea of pairing certain boys up of similar levels of function (to challenge each other) seems to be paying off.
The Boys and I (Shafique on the Left)


My favorite team of two is Peter and Shafique. (Peter has cerebral palsy with all 4 limbs affected and Shafique has hydrocephalus NOW with a shunt) 3 weeks ago, neither of these boys were walking. Now, Shafique is talking more than pouting and walking more than scooting. Peter is climbing everything he can and cruising. Today I found Peter climbing up onto the second level of the bunk bed to sit with his friends who climbed up there. YIKES! I about freaked! I grabbed Peter off the bed railings before he hit the top rung. I told him NOT to try that again because he was going to give me a heart attack!...HMMM...I think I remember having been an early "climber" myself way back when. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

The emerging doorway: Sink to the Left
will act as a "railing" for the ramp
The way home was interesting...we have sporadic intense thunderstorms followed by full on sun. Today was another one of those rainy rainy days....unfortunately, it was also a day when the pick up truck decided to "die" and the brakes had gone out on one of the big trucks. This left one truck (as the van remains in Rwanda awaiting repair). Such is the workings of a fully donation reliant organization. The truck could not navigate the huge swampy muddy roads because of the rain. We had to walk to the main road to take a Taxi home.

HOW do they stay so CLEAN???
This was rather entertaining and I HAD to snap a picture. Imagine a swampy red muddy road with a line of Brothers all dressed in white walking. I STILL have no idea how any of them remained clean and not spattered. I think maybe God has them hovering above the ground lest the hems of their robes become soiled. At any rate, it made for a good picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment