Friday, November 16, 2012

LAKE SHRIMP!

Father Raymond and his boys
ALL is WELL at Busega. All the children are nearly better and I am recovering my strength. Tonight, Friday, I was lamenting the fact I am still feeling weak. A bit of a pity party I would say and I was struggling to get my old JOY back. This is when God can have a sense of humor.....or so should I say, the Brothers in God's stead.

Never let it be said that the Missionaries of the Poor Brothers do not have a sense of humor. I sat in the conference room doing my paperwork and Brother Sonny approached me with a bowl of something to eat. He offered me a "special treat". I looked in the bowl to see inch long green “things”. It is always a good idea to inquire about anything that does not look familiar while in Uganda before putting it in one’s mouth. " So, what is THAT?!" I said looking in the bowl.

BEFORE (YES alive to ensure freshness)
Brother sonny replied “It’s Shrimp”. I looked again and saw some little black eyes at the top of the inch long bodies, obviously with shells…."But they are green!” I exclaimed. Brother Sonny, without missing a beat said, “That’s because they are Lake Shrimp” I had never seen such small shrimp and inquired if I was to peel it first. He said just eat it whole. I tried one, which tasted like a French fry. THIS should have been my first clue!

During Preparation
(Still alive by the way)
He gave me a cup’s worth and I munched on those while I continued to work. Later, Brother Sonny returned to collect the bowl. “How did you like them?” he asked me. I replied that they were pretty good though the oddest looking and tasting shrimp I had ever had. Brother Sonny then smiled a bit sheepishly and said “Well, that’s because they were really GRASSHOPPERS

“WHAT!?” I jumped out of my seat holding my mouth with a sudden sense that my stomach was going to split open and green things were going to come pouring out. “You didn’t!!!” I shouted….Brother Sonny said smiling, “Welcome to Uganda!” and chuckled. He then told me they had done the same thing to him when he first arrived. I told him to watch his back from now on…paybacks….

Today Father Raymond arrived at Busega with a large bag. “Come gather the children! Who wants to help prepare grasshoppers?!” The bag was teeming with live grasshoppers. Odd to think the arrival of a locust in the city would be such cause for celebration but it is.

AFTER
(get a load of their beady little eyes)
The Brothers came in to the volunteer room where we were eating lunch with a huge plate of prepared grasshoppers. Douglass the Medical Officer was excited about this treat. He told me his Mother LOVES them and says she would never get tired of them. I asked if they fry them in grease as they appear oily. Apparently they just fry them with salt, the grasshoppers have a lot of fats in them and do not need any oil. One of the Sisters yesterday told me she and her family eat them live. I mimed gagging while she laughed saying “They are very sweet!”

Well, for those of you who are curious, I can honestly say, grasshoppers DO NOT taste like chicken!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment