Tuesday, November 6, 2012

OUR NEW M.O.


The PT room is coming along fine in that the ramps are completed and stained a rusty red to match the floors.  The sink is going in and the tile work is being completed. I walked in this morning to a bit of a flood in the bathroom, which looked like it was coming from the toilet. Not sure what that was all about but decided NOT to worry about this.

Douglass and his entourage
We now have a full time Medical Officer at Busega Bethlehem Home. His name is Douglass and he is just out of school. A tall dark and (yes and handsome) kind young man with a wonderful smile and a very soft spoken voice. He is quite intelligent though very humble.  He is insightful, proactive and loves the children.  The children also LOVE him. His office is filled with at least 6 assistants all day long. They follow him around on his rounds.

He and I have been working as a team in helping the boys. I have brought him children with whom I was concerned and he has done the same regarding children who were having pain and mobility issues. I had been very worried about a boy named Hebed who had been having increased seizures. I had asked the part time MO to look at him but nothing had changed. Hebed has CP and epilepsy and I had been seeing him in PT. He had been making good progress until last week and had just learned to feed himself though could not stand outside a standing frame.

I explained to Douglass my concerns that Hebed was no longer able to feed himself and unable to sit upright without support. 3 days later, Douglass told me to go ahead and continue PT with Hebed that he was now ready. I was surprised but went ahead. Hebed was actually able to stand with minimal support and walk the length of the dorm advancing his own feet with only a little assist. He was again able to feed himself and was even able to stand alone holding a rail with close guarding. This was miraculous and better than he had done a month ago!

Brother and the Boys
I went back to report to Douglass and ask what it was he did. Douglass had just changed the timing of Hebed’s seizure medication. I was amazed and ever so grateful and realized what a gift Douglass was to this home. I told Douglass this and thanked him for being so caring about the children. Douglass just looked at me and softly replied, “ I am the one who is lucky. I would stay here 24 hours if I could. The children have already taken my heart”

This is just one of the many miracles Douglass has facilitated. The children have benefitted greatly from his presence and he continues to be a lesson in great compassion and humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment