Monday, April 8, 2013

AN UPDATE ON LOKIRO!

You may have remembered Lokiru, our singer who was passionate about his music...I had a picture of him in a prior blog on Jan 20th 2013:
Lokiru, singing one of his 200 songs
with CHI ME ME TE (passion)!!
Lokiru worked hard in PT to the point he was able to walk more than scoot along the floor; loved kicking the soccer ball and wanted to go to school. Well...his dream came true this term. He improved to the point he was accepted at the boarding school for the blind.
Ivan, Robert and Lokiru
Douglass in the back (in orange)

I have to say, I was a bit worried about him...sort of like an over anxious mother.  Lokiru is sensitive, needs much TLC and is easily anxious. He is a very smart boy, speaking at least 3 languages and is able to recognize us all by sound. I was not sure how he would do as many of his dorm mates help him out with ADLs (bathing, dressing etc)

He begged me for a radio before he left....I didn't find out until the day before that he was going and had many commitments that day. I was in a panic trying to get my work done and then shop for a small radio for him and then drop it off before he left. He was SOO HAPPY! I then helped the dorm matron lace up his new school shoes...you all remember those days, don't you? The smell of new leather and shoe polish, the new uniform and socks, the book bag...and for Lokiru, a trunk for all his things.

I was shedding tears as I laced up his shoes. Lokiru was excited about his new adventure and only wanted to be sure his radio was packed. I was sad to see him go. Off he went with a wave and a "Bye Sister Carol!"...I didn't realize the school was a good 1.5 hours away...ahhh...soo far.
Lokiru clapping when he finds out
there is chocolate for dessert!

Days and weeks went by...no impromptu songs being pounded out on the picnic table by Lokiru...it was sadly quiet without his tell-tail sounds in the background of every day life. I grew to miss him...then one day when Douglass, the Medical Officer and I were chatting about him, I found out "visiting day" was coming up in a week. This is a day when the schools are open for visitors for the young borders...families come bringing dinner and treats and to spend time with the students.

I asked permission from Brother Sonny, the Apostolate Director and Douglass volunteered to go with me. I hired Alex, the wonderful driver to take us and the Brothers cooked us up some good food to take alone. YES...I brought treats! Sodas, chips, cookies and chocolate!

I was nervous wondering if Lokiru would even remember me. We arrived and checked in and they led us to the dorm where he stayed. No Lokiru...we were walking back when one of the kids shouted, "here he comes!"...There was Lokiru walking with a light hand assist of one of the teachers across uneven rolling grassy terrain....and NOT falling! I went running towards him....I shouted "Lokiru! I missed you!"
Robert enjoying his feast! 

His first response..."Sister Carol! Where is my radio!!" I guess that answered my question about memory...hahah. I gave him a BIG hug and kiss on the head and he was laughing and jumping up and down when he realized Douglass had come as well. Turns out, MOP has 2 other boys there...we found them all and sat down for a nice picnic lunch...visiting was a treat and the candy a BIG hit! We invited another couple boys to join us as they had no family to visit them...it was sad...about 3/4 had family there and 1/4 had no one. The family-less boys seemed resigned to this but I was sad for them. They were very happy to join in the treats. One of the older boys from MOP said how much they appreciated the visit on visiting day...it meant the world to them. I am so glad we went for this reason alone.

Lokiru looked good...he was happy, was not complaining of anything even the food (which was his habit at Busega as he HATED porsho) he has many friends here, though blind, who lead him around and help him with the basics of dressing and bathing. He was walking everywhere! All terrain including grass, rocks, dirt and hills and was not falling. The school was located in the country wich was beautiful, quiet, with BIG trees chickens and lots of ROOM! He was doing OK in school despite not having been there in years and was passing all his classes which is what matters. Turns out he is on his 200th song! He gave us a nice concert before we left.

Lokiru's radio was lost early on...I figured this might be the case, so I brought another one with me....when we left, all 3 boys were fiddling with the new radio and laughing. They waved goodbye and were back to being engrossed in their new gadget....Lokiru was happy...not begging to come back and was moving better than when he left. He had new friends, many friends. Though I was sad to leave him again, I would not have it any other way.
Lokiru singing to the radio, earbuds in...
not listening to a word Sister Carol says! 

SEE YOU AT SUMMER BREAK, LOKIRU!


No comments:

Post a Comment